Fasting before general anesthetic

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jacqueline Hyde Posts: 1145
Does anyone know how long you're supposed to fast before a GA?
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
Not 100% sure, but when my dad had a GA before Christmas he fasted from midnight the night before, including no water. He was meant to have his op first thing in the morning, so I guess it was 8 hours.
Thanks. I read somewhere it was 6 hours but that was way off what i thought it was. Thought it was more like 24hrs, but then again i probably just totally made that up
gopro Posts: 1801
a light breakfast can be eaten 6 hours prior BUT it's all consultant depending they all have their own rules most just say from midnight
Kop Bride Posts: 932
From midnight the night before. The longer the better as you will be less likely to be nauseous and vomitting after surgery HTH
strawberries1 Posts: 1245
Just got my letter last week and it said to fast from midnight. No food or water. You can clean you teeth on the morning though as i rang up and asked :o0
Thanks girls. They said they might call me for today, today IYKWIM so if it had been more than a few hours fasting needed i might have missed the chance at my slot. Turns out i'm in tomorrow and have been told to fast from midnight.