Fathers and waistcoats

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Griffy Posts: 51
Hi Could you tell me if your dads and your fathers in law to be are wearing the same outfits as your hubby + groomsmen on the day? We have waistcoats picked out for the groom and groomsmen but we are now wondering should we get the dads kitted out too. I know its up to ourselves at the end of the day but would like to get a sense of what the norm is....Cheers :wv
Little Miss Chatterbox Posts: 1362
We are putting the Dads in the same suits as the GM's. They will have a different shirt (normal collar) with normal tie, but same waistcoat. GM' s will have pointy shirts (IYKWM) with cravats and H2B will have different waistcoat to all of them.....
overthemoon! Posts: 1479
my Dad isnt crazy on the idea of a waistcoat nor does he want to wear a hired suit as they are so ill fitting. he is very precise when it comes to his dress. if my DAd bought his suit and got it as close to the groom & groomsmen it wouldnt really matter i guess???
redroses Posts: 714
I can tell you now my dad wont wear a waistcoat and never has!!! H2B'S Dad is deceased.
mrsbrowneyedgirl28 Posts: 820
My Dad made no demands about the wedding apart from being adament he wasn't wearing a waistcoat! I think it can look a bit ridiculous especially if ahem..they have a bit of a tummy :-8 In the end none of the boys wore waistcoats just a really nice tie and looked really smart.
mrsmcgee2b Posts: 241
hi annie30, my dad is the same as is father in law so we didn't want to put pressure on them ..my h2b bought his any way as he is also very particaular was little worried at first but now he has it it's really gorgoeus and perfect colour for my dress :o0 so wouldn't worry to much it all depends on what bride wants and expects things to look..each to their own
soulful Posts: 1697
Glad you brought this up as I hadnt even thought of it. So its h2b, 2 groomsmen, pageboy and 2 fathers! I think I will let the fathers wear what they like O:o)
Weddingloon Posts: 445
Yeah I think it depends on the Dads and what the Bride expects. I'd never really given it any thought. My Dad is deceased but he would've hated the idea of being told what to wear (very particular and secretly loved to shop) and I never would've made that request. I won't be doing this with my FFIL either but if we will of course give the option to match the BM!!!!
blueswallow Posts: 1244
We're trying to organise menswear too at the moment. Approached FFIL first - not keen on rented suit. Then my father - wanted to buy his own. So, since neither were keen, we're letting them wear whatever they want - they're happier and it's cheaper for us! :-8
Twirler Posts: 1644
My dad is wearing the same outfit as the groomsmen.