Feedback on delivery unit experience in Holles St?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
Just wondering if anyone can share something {as little or as much as you feel happy to} on their experience of the delivery area in Holles St. Things like facilities, space, what they allow or don't allow, what staff are like, if they have cd player or you need to take one in there and how easy they were about agreeing to various pain relief methods. Anything you can share would be helpful. Thanks.
strangeangel Posts: 1269
I can tell you about the Domino delivery room in Holles St if that helps, as they have their own room, though I'm not sure how much it differs from the others. They have a power shower in there for use during labour - if I remember correctly I think they said the other rooms didn't have one. They didn't give me any rules about what I could and couldn't bring, but I did come straight into the delivery room when I arrived and wasn't coming from a labour ward. There's an iPod dock in the room with a radio, though we didn't use it. Community midwife on duty was fantastic - aside from all the more important parts, she brought me a heat pack for my back as I didn't pack one and got coffee and biscuits for DH. There was a yoga ball in the room. I only used Entonox and had a fairly quick delivery so it was fine - we didn't discuss the other options as the midwives tend to encourage trying to do without epidural if you can, so I'm not sure how it works if you need one. HTH!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am not on the Domino scheme but it still gives an idea. as far as I know the birthing balls are accessible to everyone. I hope there is a shower in each room as well or else plenty for the whole department. All other experiences welcome.
babyweight Posts: 148
firstly i can tell you the midwives in there are so nice and make you feel so special. i was in alot of pain with my contractions and it was the midwife who encouraged me to get the epidural, have to say i was glad i did as i couldn't have gone for god knows how long in that pain. they keep you well informed of your progress or lack of progress in my case i ended up in a section. you are not allowed to eat in the labour ward so be sure to eat before you go in if you've time. i didn't and went from sunday night through to tues morning with no food. if you go in early in morning i'd advise a taxi in as your partner will have to leave you every so often to feed meter. if you're not parked close to hospital this will be a pain. cant remember if there was cd player or not. no mobiles allowed on either as it can interfere with the machines.
Thanks veggie for that. I have found them very nice in the opd so far anyway. are the delivery rooms bright and modern? Did you have a shower in your room? I wonder are all walkmans compatible with the ipod dock. Mine is a simple sony one. Hubby has a zen.
Bubstar Posts: 399
I'd be interested in any feedback here too. I really hope there is a shower!! Also re the epidural, I heard that they are reluctant to give them in H Street....and this really, really worries me!!!
GentleBirth Posts: 750
Hi LMH, There is 1 DOMINO room - and anyone can use it so please ask for it when you are admitted so at least you'll have access to the shower. Unit 3 is quite a different place....it's a large public ward with anywhere from 14 - 18 other labouring Mums and their partners - it's a great incentive to stay home in the privacy of your own home with your partner. It's not exactly the best place to encourge the flow of oxytocin (that amazing but 'shy' hormone) that helps the birth process progress normally. If you have to spend time on Unit 3 - pull the curtain around to give you some privacy and keep your Mp 3 player on. But if you have a choice - go home - or go to the Davenport and have a nice bath, room service and most important of all - privacy. Tracy
Bubstar Posts: 399
does everyone go to Unit 3 at some stage?? sounds like hell!
Their website says that delivery has eight single rooms and one shared room. Unit 3 must be prenatal or something which is meant to be 14 beds. I am a high risk pregnancy so might have to go in right from the start of labour. Will ask that this week when in there? I would imagine it must be very hard to get the domino room if there is only one. There must be decent shower areas in the delivery unit though. They don't seem to have a birthing pool so they must have baths and showers.
GentleBirth Posts: 750
[quote="nubes":3i3l0z87]I'd be interested in any feedback here too. I really hope there is a shower!! Also re the epidural, I heard that they are reluctant to give them in H Street....and this really, really worries me!!![/quote:3i3l0z87] There's one shower in the delivery area and no baths. Depending on how busy they are will determine how quickly you can get the epi. Unit 3 is like a 'holding area' for Mums in early labour or being induced and you can't get an epidural until you go into one of the 8 delivery rooms. There can be up to 18+ beds in H.Stree Unit 3 - they move beds in as they need them.... Like all of the Dublin maternity units they are under incredible pressure - you'll get some idea of the pressure they're under when you realise that they have only 8 rooms and nearly 9000 births a year.... Nubes if you can come in to H.Street in good active labour you stand a good chance of avoiding Unit 3 altogether. HTH Tracy