Feel Stupid for calling Guards.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LabLady Posts: 4325
I as usual was home alone last night while DH was out at work, I have no neighbours yet, still no street lights, and still no blinds or curtains... The girls were gone out to bed. I was folding clothes, lol at 1.30am... I see a car light. Look out the window and there is a silver car parked in the drive next door right along side my car lets say. There were a couple of people from what I could make out in the car. some in the front and some in the back. They turned the car back on and drove up the street when they saw me. After a minute I had gone upstairs to see if I could see where it was, it had stopped again a few doors up, and started again drove up over the pavement into the apts' and drove around for a while. I called the guards cause it was to me actin suspicious. She asked me where was I and when I mentioned near the creche it was like she knew where I was, I had called before about the guys drinking in my drive while I was home alone also. I feel stupid now for ringing they prob think I am the paranoid freak behind the creche.
io Posts: 136
Hey, don't feel silly. You did the right thing, believe me. I was home alone once, and put off ringing the guards when some guys acted suspiciously, by the time I did the guys who were acting suspicious were trying to get in the back window and door even though they KNEW I was in there as they had rung the doorbell earlier to get me to the door. Thankfully they didn't get in. Although the guard didn't believe me when he finally arrived he kept asking me had I rung them before about people egging the house, I hadn't, house hadn't been egged! He never checked out the back, when I told them they were in their 50s he shut his notebook and said people who rob houses are in their 20s, it was probably a refugee who thought it was his house and just wanted to go to bed as that happened to another house the week before. (like WTF???) He then left. when my parents arrived back they discovered broken windows, (i was hiding and too frightened to go check) my mother ATE the guard on the phone, but they didn't bother coming back. I think that some of them want to make it out like you are a nusicence caller so they won't have to do anything (rem that youtube broadcast) but always ring if you feel threatened, and insist that they come out if they try to fob you off. I dread to think what might have happened if they'd gotten into the house. I know there are plenty of good guards out there, just thought I'd share this story as its usually your instincts that are correct when people are acting suspiciously.
Well they did come out the last time. I didnt wait up last night to see if they called. The first time they came to my window frightened the living daylights out of me and got me to open the front door. The guys they had pulled could see me at the door. The only thing is the local guards had driven round about 15 mins after DH went out to work last night about 11pm. I was telling him what happened before. Told them that the other garda wouldnt go round the back of the house cause of the dogs even though the dogs were in their secure run. He said no if theres dogs out the back they wont go round WTF? its fairly well lit out the back from the creche so if anyone wants to get in they can cause once your eyes adjust to the dark, its queit bright out there (if you know what i mean). They can see the dogs cant get out so thats not going to stop them. I am afraid too that they might be trying to get the dogs too. Kerri alone would be worth €600 if I had her papers in the house. Cause she is a great stature and would do great as a hunting dog. She is nearly more valuable than most things in the house, well apart from me lol I am priceless! LOL
redrebel Posts: 400
if you ask me, the guards are for the most part useless when it comes to things like this. on the 2 occasions in my life that we (my family) have had cause to call them, they never turned up! i remember a few months ago listening to a radio programme down here - joe duffy style - where a young girl who lives alone in an apartment in the city was in tears telling yer man that she had been repeatedly calling and waiting for the guards since 4am that morning cos some guy was trying to kick in her apartment door for hours on end screaming he was going to slice her up and kill the 'f*ckin b*tch' and all sorts of horrible things. the guards didnt arrive til 8.30 am and that was only because she had finally woken up her friend who went to the station and BROUGHT the guards to the apartment with her. they found yer man - a european, not that it makes a difference - asleep in the poor girls doorway, he was after breaking his arm off the door he had hit it so hard so many times. he thought it was his ex girlfriends flat. imagine if he had managed to get into the apt? i know the guards have a tough job etc etc but they are waaaaaay too relaxed about many of the calls they get.
buffybuzz Posts: 492
They should take every call seriously. It's their job to protect law abiding citizens!! You were 100% right to call them. I would have done the same thing. The Gards in my area are pretty good at taking things seriously thankfully!
ok its a minute to midnight and another car has just done a similar thing. I dont get it why drive round a dark empty estate unless you are up to no good. Or are on your way home from somewhere I suppose and say lets call in to that estate that we were thinking of buying in? Last nights car wasnt like that , tonights was, up here at the comp, lights on and stood up and looked out, they didnt stop just turned, we are a cul de sac. Yeah I guess I shouldnt feel guilty. Just dont want them to think I am playing wolf.
buffybuzz Posts: 492
Why don't you keep a diary and then when a really suspicious one happens again you can show them-then you can show you are being a good neighbour, without calling the guards everytime. This would also help for them to take you seriously (although they should anyway!). you could also get number plates. That way the guards will have something to go on if there is a break in or an crime committed. I think you are doing a good job. If everyone was as vigilant and caring as you then the world wouldn't have to put up with half as much crime!
Mrs Knockers Posts: 3514
I'd have done the exact same! Our local police probably are the same with me as I've called them so much!
taking notes is a great idea. the number plates isnt going to happen cause its way too dark down my cul de sac. I mean I cant even see people standing outside my house when its dark unless I have my upstairs bathroom light on! or the dogs bark so I look for someone out there!
Mrs Knockers Posts: 3514
Night vision goggles???