Menu

Feeling overwhelmed

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

randomusername Posts: 2134
Anyone else feeling anxious and overwhelmed about becoming a Mum? I#ve always been around kids and have no problems with feeding and changing etc but I read things in the M&K forum and I end up thinking I haven't a clue. Like things about tummy time, age to wean kids, mixing gaviscon with milk etc. I just haven't a clue, where do you learn these things?
katiemomma Posts: 2690
Hi watermelonbaby, you learn these things through others or just trial and error on your own most of the time. my dd is 5 and a 1/2 years old and im now pregnant again well i think i have totally forgotten what i learned first time round! but i know like the first time it all comes naturally or so thats how it happened for me. i was so young and i was single at the time and my dd turned out fine through all the trial and error, your LO will be fine, you will learn and get to know your little one and will know what they want and need even though sometimes you will feel like you havent a clue what they want/need?! but this is all part of the journey or being a mom. enjoy the rollercoaster ahead, its wonderful :-8
Mamaboom Posts: 2094
WMB I'm the exact same as you, in fact I always feel like people are thinking "how on earth will Bababoom cope with a baby, sure she knows nothing?!" and they're probably right. I'm going to take it as it comes, confide in my cyber friends and ask their advice and make it look like I'm an expert to my real life buddies. I had to ask the girls on M&K the other day when you get toys for infants.............nobody judges you on here and it's so much easier to ask advice. I also posted on Magic Mum about breastfeeding and the girls over there gave me great advice. We'll probably be scared $hitless for the first while but we'll hopefully enjoy it too!
xxdaisyxx Posts: 93
hi watermelonbaby, just wanted to send u a quick reply, not going to insult u by telling u not to worry but i did want to reassure you that u are not the first woman to feel this way :) i had a major panic attack at 32 weeks on my first pregnancy when it came up in conversation that i had never so much as changed a nappy,let alone be the 'primary care giver' to a newborn. my first was the first baby in the family in 23 years so my mam, although she was a great help, didnt really know much either! talk about being scared s*itless!! anyway needless to say the baby showed up demanding a mother, and surprisingly i did a pretty good job! i dont know how women manage to know all the random stuff they do about babies, but for some reason once the baby is here you figure it out. the forums, such as this are a wealth of information, and once ppl know u have a baby they have an overwhelming urge to impart every piece of advice they have, asked for or not! try not to freak out too much, everyone gets the hang of it in the end, or rather in the beginning :) :) enjoy the rest of the pregnancy xx
randomusername Posts: 2134
Thanks guys, its a comfort to know I'm not the only one feeling terrified. Like the basics I think I can just about grasp but think I need to stay out of M&K for a while and stop scaring myself :o0 :o0
OAT Posts: 2207
WMB I'm also feeling overwhelmed and worried I don't know what I'm doing and this is my 2nd baby :o0 :o0 :o0 At this stage I think we're going to be like this for the next 18-25 years :o0 :o0 Don't worry hun when babs comes along instinct kicks in and you just go with the flow :action32
Star DJs
whirly-girl Posts: 760
[quote="OAT":33n513um]WMB I'm also feeling overwhelmed and worried I don't know what I'm doing and this is my 2nd baby :o0 :o0 :o0 At this stage I think we're going to be like this for the next 18-25 years :o0 :o0 Don't worry hun when babs comes along instinct kicks in and you just go with the flow :action32[/quote:33n513um] ditto - I am terrified - the more i read the worse i get, but i still read O:|
mtv Posts: 935
if you attend antenatal classes they can touch on some of these areas