Finding out sex at 21 weeks scan

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Elizabeth Bennett Posts: 682
I'm public in the Coombe and am planning on finding out the sex of our baby at our next 21 week anomaly scan. Does anyone have experience of this with the Coombe? Do they try and have a good look or is it just mentioned in passing if they happen to see something. I know the anomaly scan is not for this purpose and they have limited time for everyone so just wondering what the chances of finding out are. I am prepared to drink something fizzy before scan to have babs moving a bit in order to maybe make it a bit easier to find out.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
We found out at our 21 weeks scan in the coombe, part of the scan was 3d so the nurse was able to be fairly certain, the nurse that looked after us was lovely and very friendly. SIL didn't want to know at her scan but the nurse said she wouldn't have been able to tell anyway cause of the position of the baby (she's also with the coombe). I'd say it at the start so the nurse can try and tell. best of luck and enjoy, we found out and were so delighted that we did, i loved saying she when talking about our DD!
Elizabeth Bennett Posts: 682
thanks Ciarella, will definitely say it at the start so they have a longer time to check. I'm so excited to find out I can hardly wait until next week. Some people have said I should wait until the baby is born but I feel it's just as much of a surprise now as then. :o)ll
Ohnoshedidnt Posts: 273
[quote="Elizabeth Bennett":chyry0mp]Some people have said I should wait until the baby is born but I feel it's just as much of a surprise now as then. :o)ll[/quote:chyry0mp] I found out with both of them and thats what i always say. Its just an earlier surprise. I had a difficult labour with ds and they had to take him away straight away so it was kind of nice to be able to just worry about him and not be wondering if its a girl or boy. It makes your baby more real during the pregnancy too. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy :babydust:
ciaraella Posts: 5323
It's amazing how many people will have an opinion on what YOU should do in relation to YOUR baby >:o( I loved knowing, we talked about our little girl, we knew her name before she was born and it just felt so right for us knowing :lvs
twinkles1 Posts: 137
Hi EB they should be able to see at your anomaly scan they could tell me I was having a boy on my last pregnancy and will be hopefully finding out this time too. They told a friend ov mine that they thought it was a girl and yesterday at 29 week check up they said the same. Didn't seen as sure but maybe it's not always as easy to tell for sure. I loved knowing, I definitely think it helped me and OH bond with our DS. We had a name chosen and I was picking up bits and pieces as I was going along great too if there's sales on. I too had the same experience people saying I'd ruined the surprise for myself and them. Pity about them it's your baby!! Let us know how you get on, good luck!!
ohsotired Posts: 7071
We were public in the Coombe & they asked if we wanted to know at the beginning of the scan!
The Blue Sylph Posts: 397
I can't really remember the exact details but first thing on our minds was "Is the baby healthy and ok?" and once that was answered we were asked if we wanted to know the sex and we said yes. Our baby was moving around a good bit so it was easy for them to see that she is girl, but sometimes if the baby is not in the right position you don't get to find out! That happened to friends of ours who didn't find out until baby was born, simply because baby wasn't in the right position to determine the sex. It's more difficult to find out later on because there is much less room for the baby to move around in there, so it's less common to see the baby's private parts! I felt so emotional when we found out! So excited as baby became a little girl inside me instead of just a genderless being, if that makes sense. What the others have said about bonding is true, IMO. Don't take it as [b:14cxfrlv]100%[/b:14cxfrlv] certain though! I've heard a couple of stories about them getting it wrong, although it's not that common. We were told we're having a girl, and we're told everyone this, and I have lots of girl clothes but in the back of my head I am still telling myself that there is a very slight chance she [i:14cxfrlv]could[/i:14cxfrlv] turn out to be a boy in the end... So just to keep it in your head so you don't get a horrible shock when you give birth!! I have neutral stuff for baby for the hospital, JUST IN CASE! And some girly stuff too :)
Ohnoshedidnt Posts: 273
[quote="The Blue Sylph":urhjsihn] Don't take it as [b:urhjsihn]100%[/b:urhjsihn] certain though! I've heard a couple of stories about them getting it wrong, although it's not that common. We were told we're having a girl, and we're told everyone this, and I have lots of girl clothes but in the back of my head I am still telling myself that there is a very slight chance she [i:urhjsihn]could[/i:urhjsihn] turn out to be a boy in the end... So just to keep it in your head so you don't get a horrible shock when you give birth!! I have neutral stuff for baby for the hospital, JUST IN CASE! And some girly stuff too :)[/quote:urhjsihn] This happened to 2 people i knew at the time i was pregnant with dd :ooh One was expecting a boy and had a girl and the other was the opposite. They had both bought loads of pink/blue things and had to put their new babies in them! This stayed with me throughout my pregnancy and i didnt buy a single thing in pink just incase, my mum wouldnt let me anyway. I just bought all neutral colours, which worked out well because i was able to use them again for ds!
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I have to say, we didn't find out what we were having - everyone was convinced it was a boy so much so that we didn't really look up girls names! At the anomoly scan I 'felt' it was a girl and the day before DD was born I said to DH that my final feeling was it was a girl & turned out I was right! Everyone was shocked it was a girl so it really was a nice surprise for everyone!! :o0