Menu

First Doctors Appointment - What to ask?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

WinterWonderland Posts: 1242
Ladies have my first appointment in the morning & I have all my dates ready etc - is there anything I should ask?? Thank you :heartbeat:
Mamaboom Posts: 2094
Ask your GP if they will be contacting the hospital to book you in or if you'll have to do it. Some GPs do but not always the case. Other than that I can't think of anything, I just answered her questions!
Thank you Bababoom, I'm very excited! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
Daff Posts: 11644
Congrats on your BFP :o)ll What happened with us was, we went in adn told him our news. He said congrats and that he'd just do a quick test to make sure. While he was waiting for the test to give a result he went through a few things that I can and cannot do. Then he saw the test was positive and congratulated us again (at this stage DH looked like he was about to burst, as he didnt' believe the three tests I'd done!). Then he took my blood pressure and weight and explained the options of public, semi private and private. And asked had I any hopsital in mind. I said HS and he was very happy wtih that as I was a first time mum (but also cause he knows lots of the consulatants in there). He then explained about combined care and asked if I was interested. I was, so I filled out the forms for this and he sent them off. My doctor didn't book my hopsital - so make sure you find out if he will. If he's not I'd recommend you book your hospital asap as the weight can be ages for first appointment. I booked at 5 weeks and it was 16 weeks before my first appointment and that was SP. Any other questions let us know :wv
Thank you very much daffodil bride! We went in this morning anyway & he did the test (wasn't my own doctor, away on hols :o( )& said well thats come up straight away so I'll say congratulations but I'll say a 100% congrats in a minute. He filled out a form asked me to sign it & then said he'd send it off to the HSE & they'd be in contact with me. He never asked what hospital or kind of care I wanted but I assumed that will be in the paperwork the HSE send. He also told me to come back to the docs in about 4 week for another check up & bring a sample with me (forgot this morning!) so they can test it for protein & infections. But he did say I wouldn't get my first scan until I was 19 weeks :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek so we have booked a private one ourselves. Its such an exciting time!!
Congratulations again! :o)ll The HSE paperwork is just about the combined care, it won't have anything about the types of care or hospitals. I think there is a sticky on it, so check that out. Also, when you book in with your hospital they'll also book the first scan (usually about the 20 week mark) so sooner you get that booked the better. I'd highly recommend Ultrasound Dimensions for private scan. I've had three, early dating, nuchal translucency (sp) and 3D scan there. This is my 12 week one - at the time it was so hard to imgaine LO in my tummy, let alone getting up to all this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnPIEPtsvqU
OMG Daffodill that is AMAZING!! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll I've booked in with them for my early scan in 3 weeks I can't wait!! Its the place that always advertises here - thats Untrasound Dimensions isn't it? The place in blackrock? We can't wait for it, 19 weeks is a shocking wait for your first scan! :ooh Thanks for your advise :heartbeat:
Hope it all goes well for you. I'd one at 7 weeks and it was just a blob, so if you could put it off til 11 weeks you'll see so much more - although I know it's so hard! or be like me and have two! :o0
Oh I know I won't see anything its just peace of mind really to know everything is ok! And to check for more than one heartbeat..... twins everywhere on both sides of our families.... I won't be too shocked if there was 2! :o0 :o0 I'll defo be getting the 3D one done later in my PG.