First GP vistit- not what I expected - due June 09

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babybliss Posts: 437
I had my GP appointment today to confirm my pregnancy, but hang on… He didn’t actually confirm it… I told him I believe I’m pregnant, he asked when my last periods started, I told the date and he confirmed I’m 4wk 2 days (which I think is correct) and gave me referral letter to the hospital. He then said there isn’t anything else; all I need to do is eat & exercise healthily and make the appointment with hospital :eek As this is my first pregnancy, I’m terrified something might go wrong, how do I know the pregnancy is progressing ok, should I just assume once there is no bleed, I should be fine? I’m not feeling many symptoms, slight cramping, nausea and slightly sore boobies… How did you get on with your GP?
Hopefully07 Posts: 2027
I didn't even go to my GP!!! I did a pregnancy test and rang the hospital to book in for my first visit...... There's not a whole heap the doc can do unfortunatley........just stick his/her hand out for €50 to tell you to eat and drink healthy (which you know) and ask you if you want to do combined care!
Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
i think he should at least have done another pregnancy test on you - even if it was just for your peace of mind.
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
I'm afraid that's quite normal babybliss, I came out of the doctor's surgery in a bit of a daze after mine too, thinking "Is that it????" All they can do is do another pregnancy test (which feels pointless if you've already done several) and say yes, you're pregnant. You then need to pick a hospital (and a consultant if you're going private) and he'll say come back to him in a few weeks. I found the first few weeks the hardest. I hadn't told anyone other than my husband and one friend, had no symptoms, and was just waiting and waiting and waiting to be far enough along to be able to get a scan or hear the heartbeat. Hang in there though, all you can do is mind yourself, eat healthily, try to avoid stress, and get lots of rest. It seems so inadequate for the doctor to say this when this may be the biggest thing thats' ever happened to you.....but that is all you can do at this point. Best of luck, hope the next few weeks fly by and you get more evidence of your baby's presence then!!!!
Thanks Hopefully, I suppose that's t he norm :) I have decided to go semi-private and will ring the hospital this afternoon for appointment. I'm not just sure about the combined care; does it make any difference if you go to your GP or the hospital for your check-ups? Both are very close to me, so the travel is not an issue... Thanks again *)
Hopefully07 Posts: 2027
[quote="babybliss":1miafjp6]Thanks Hopefully, I suppose that's t he norm :) I have decided to go semi-private and will ring the hospital this afternoon for appointment. I'm not just sure about the combined care; does it make any difference if you go to your GP or the hospital for your check-ups? Both are very close to me, so the travel is not an issue... Thanks again *)[/quote:1miafjp6] I know it's SOOO disapointing but not alot you can do! You don't have to do combined care at all you can visit your hospital for every appointment especailly if it's close to you, the reason why I did combined care on my first was that I went public and the que's public are a nightmare so I wouldn't want to be doing that every two weeks (you only visit every two weeks at the end of your pregnancy at the start you visit every 4-6 weeks) This place is great for advice etc. so any help ya need just shout... A HUGE congrats BTW! :o)ll
Ahhh thanks :lvs I don't know what I'd do without this forum, as I have no idea about pregnancy at all and don't want to be asking advice from friends / family just quite yet. This place is a lifesaver :thnk
McDanny Posts: 1435
My GP confirmed the test, took my blood pressure and had a feel of my abdomen. She said they are standard checks that she will do on every visit. I also signed a form to sign up to the combined care scheme. Congrats by they way :o)ll :o)ll
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
My GP didn't go near my blood pressure or abdomen early on - even when I said I was getting headaches (at an appointment around 8 weeks) he didn't bother taking my blood pressure, said "sure the hospital will do that next week". :eek Was going to say what Hopefully07 said about the hospital vs combined care thing - the queues in the hospital can be long, so your doctor might be handier. I can get evening appointments after work with mine whereas if I had to keep going to the hospital fine, I'd get the time off work,but I'd spend half my day either on buses or in waiting rooms, just for a routine check up.
primrosebride Posts: 27
Hi Babybliss I am just a week ahead of you - due 4th June 2009 and also has my first visit to the doctor yesterday. I had already done 2 pregnancy tests and she said there was no point doing another one. She took a urine sample, checked blood pressure and weight. I have been getting what are like period paid cramps, so hopefully this is normal in the early stages. Are you having any pains at all - I also felt very whoosy this morning - thought I was going to faint in the shower and then felt sick, but was okay then a while after. Hopefull the next 8 months are not going to be like that every morning!!! Congrats anyway