First scan in Coombe

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Buzzo Posts: 1055
am clearly crap at trying to being anon. feck it. I had my LO (now 2) in Holles st so I gather the Coombe is a bit different. At the time I got a private scan at 10 weeks as my booking appt was at 14 weeks & scan around 20 weeks. This time they've booked me in the coombe on the day i *should* be 10 weeks. I told GP I want to do Domino which she put in the referral & my letter back from them says in big capitals "THIS APPOINTMENT IS LINKED TO THE MIDWIVES CLINIC AND THE EARLY TRANSFER HOME SCHEME" and its in the 'Midwife External Booking' clinic. My GP also noted my lack of periods in the letter so told me I'd get a dating scan (I'm pretty sure when I ovulated, but it was Day 67 so i can't just count backwards by 2 weeks). There's no mention of that in the letter. I know that the coombe generally have the scan earlier than 20 weeks, but would that be a seperate appointment altogether andif so do I just book it when i'm in at 10 weeks or do I need to call now? (I tried calling about something else, very hard to get the phone answered!) It's just i'll book a private scan around 10/11 weeks if I'm not going to get one at that appointment, because I really need to know how far along i am, properly like! Constantly nauseous this time round for about 10 days now. Wasn't sick at all on my first pregnancy. I'm obviously excited but I'm way more nervous this time too i cannot WAIT for 12/14 weeks... :o)ll :o)ll
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I had my booking appointment with the Coombe's midwife clinic in my area on Monday and my dating scan is tomorrow. Some people have their scan same day, later in the week, the following week etc. On the Domino Scheme - I wanted to do this but as there's diabetes in my family I wasn't accepted as I may be at risk of developing gestational diabetes. I was accepted into the midwives clinic though which is very similar to Domino! HTH! Edited to add that I am going into the Coombe itself for the scan but my ante-natal appointments are in the local health centre!
gopro Posts: 1801
I got a letter from Coombe on Monday for the midwife clinic for Dec 1st and it states I'll have a dating scan n bloods on the day I'll be 10 weeks that day by my days but 12 by LMP
ohsotired that's a great help thanks. I'll hold off booking a private scan if it's likely to be very close to the booking appt. I can always ring & book one that day if it's not going to be soon at that point. I did midwives clinic in Holles St - it's great when Domino isn't an option alright (I was outside the catchment area, I sort of blindly booked into HS last time when I really should have gone to Coombe - Doh!) Labour/delivery were v straightforward last time so I have high hopes for being accepted. I'm much closer to the hospital itself than any of the other clinics so I don't mind going there for my appointments anyway. I just want to go home asap that's why I want Domino so much! Yonex I'm exactly 2 weeks behind you (going by what I think my ovulation day was) and have my appt that day too! So odd that they mentioned dating scan and blood in your letter and not in mine, i presumed the letters are standardised. They did included all the leaflets about the various bits and pieces but didn't explicitly state anything out side of :this is a first visit... linked to the midwives clinic and eth scheme" thanks girls :thnk
They do early release on the midwife clinics too so the only difference between it and domino - so I was told on Monday - is that with Domino you have a dedicated midwife but with midwife clinics you see whoever is on duty! Best of luck with your appointments!
FoundHome Posts: 1753
Firstly congratulations!!! I had my booking scan at the Coombe at 12w but like you I couldn't wait so I went for a private scan at 8w.
[quote="FoundHome":2luuata1]Firstly congratulations!!! I had my booking scan at the Coombe at 12w but like you I couldn't wait so I went for a private scan at 8w.[/quote:2luuata1] thanks! I just really can't be sure of my dates so i wouldn't go at 8weeks incase it wasn't 8 weeks and there was nothing to see IYKWIM. So I'll try and hang on til at least "10" and hope to bloody hell it is 10! i had a scan at 10 weeks last time because we were going on holidays with my family so we would have to tell them & wanted to see the heartbeat for ourselves. This time I told my mum straightaway (with DH's permission), just her though.
gopro Posts: 1801
that's mad we are the sane wit diff letters. maybe cos I ticked inferitilt problems PCOS that I'm gettin scan I was more than impressed wen I saw it. my clinic I'd FV booking history clinic wit midwife think it says Im at 10 am yea loads of leaflets on the domino scheme , the 20 week scan etc
lollisue Posts: 507
I'm diabetic so I had my booking appointment with the coombe as soon as I found out i was pregnant so that I could start in the diabetic clinic. My booking appointment was for when I was only 6 weeks. So even though my letter said i'd have my dating scan, when i went in they said it was too early. I'm 9 weeks now and they said i can do the dating scan whenever I want, if i want to hold off till closer to 12 weeks thats fine. They also said I don't need an appointment for it, if i'm in for my normal appointment I can just pop down for the scan. There is a slip in the chart that you hand in when you're getting the scan. The midwife said lots of people prefer to hold off on it till 12-14 weeks as it's more accurate then.
Ladies, just to say I got my dating scan this morning - I thought I was 13+4 but I am 14+1 - could see babs very clearly! Enjoy your scans :lvs