First scan...prob silly questions!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

luckylass1 Posts: 477
So have my 1st scan tomorrow! I know I have to drink water around 1 hr before but can I eat before it? Also I didn't contact my insurance, do I need to or just give insurance number? Any other advice welcome! Really nervous and excited! Wonder if I will see much I'm just over 12 weeks? Ah can't believe this is actually happening!!
spanishb2b Posts: 1261
luckylass, can't help with the insurance I'm afraid but would assume that once you give them your number they will do the rest. As for eating - you can eat as usual. Just remember to drink your water. Timing it so you don't need to go to the toilet in the meantime is the fun part!! :o0 Enjoy the scan. You'll be amazed at how much you'll be able to see.
valentine09 Posts: 681
They will have that on file if you filled in the form. Just bring your letter with you re apointment.
luckylass1 Posts: 477
That's another thing I can't find the letter! OH threw it out by mistake!
delighted2011 Posts: 49
Oh you'll be able to see so much at 12 weeks:-) have fun and enjoy it - it's a lovely time:-)
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
i never had to drink water for a baby scan, think that's only if they are looking at your ovaries or something eg for a cyst. i had one once and they left me waiting for over an hour, was in so much pain dying to pee! defo don't need to do it for a fetal scan or at least my doc has never mentioned it and i usually empty my bladder right before i see him in order to get a urine sample.
Lush Posts: 506
a full bladder makes it easier to see baby this early. Up to 20 weeks I was always asked to ensure I had a full bladder. I had my first scan at 9/10 weeks and it was a bean, second at 13/14 weeks and it was a small baby it was AMAZING! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll You will love it. Insurance will depend if private or public, if private you'll have to pay for gynae yourself and depending on your insurance company you may get something back. If public (Im private so not sure on this) I would presume your insurance only comes into play when you go to give birth so wouldn't need this info for ante natal care? Best of luck and enjoy! :)
jdurso Posts: 351
You can eat whatever you want to before it. I don't know much about the insurance end of it - where are you getting it done? Good luck and enjoy!!
Sodapop Posts: 3220
the hospital arrange with your medical insurance - you just give them your policy details. You must have a full bladder for your early scans - drink some water half an hour before - anything earlier and you'll be bursting and it's not comfortable (trust me!!). Drink about 500ml. and a full bladder does make it easier to see the baby. The scan is literally 15mins so you wont be too uncomfortable for too long! good luck - the first scan is so excitng!!!!
noc Posts: 1802
If they haven't told you to come with a full bladder I wouldn't worry about it. My doc gives me a scan at every appointement and I've never been told to come with a full bladder and we've always had grand views of the baby. Like babyblabber I usually empty my bladder just before my antenatal appointments too! Just do whatever your place tell you to do and don't bother trying to second guess them. If they feel something is important they will let you know.