First Scan Question?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

dovedro Posts: 1295
Hi I have my first scan next week and according to the docs dates i'll be 10 weeks 5 days but according to my own dates (which I know will turn out to be correct) i'll only be 9 weeks 5 days I'm just wondering if we'll be to see much at that stage or will I be a little dissapointed? The only scans I would have seen before are pictures of peoples babies who are much futher along than me. Will we be able to see the baby at all? Just a bit worried as I've been looking forward to this since I got pregant Also will they need to do an internal scan as it's less than 10 weeks? Thanks :thnk
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
I'm not too sure to be honest,I was nearly 14wks when we got our first one done...someone else might know?
mammybean Posts: 10364
TBH there isnt much to see BUT you will see a hertbeat and it will be special. Babs is still quite small but you will be happy! as for an internal - it really depends. i was having scans every week or two til i was 12 weeks, and they were internal until 11 weeks. it depends are you slim? if you are they should be able to do an abdo scan,i am not so they could see more with an internal one,
Thanks girls I suppose the main thing is seeing the heartbeat....i think i'll feel relieved to see that at least! It's prob more my DH who I'm hoping to see more for as he hasn't a clue what to expect and is thinking he's going to see a full blown waving baby in there! I wouldn't be a supermodel or anything :o0 but don't have any major weight on me so hopefully they don't need to do the internal one as I'm not keen on the idea of it So looking forward to next week now
mammybean Posts: 10364
the only thing i have to say about an internal scan is they are so clear. you know when you see a normal one and it can be grey and fuzzy - the internal isnt. i think though i have had so many of them done in the last couple of years that i am immune to the embarasment of it. hb saw alot more on the scans than i did, i looked for the heartbeat and was kind of fixed on that where he saw the lot.
2006wedding Posts: 965
i had my first scan at 6 weeks and although I had to have an internal scan they could pick up a heartbeat and a tiny blob on the screen! Isnt it the actual size of the foetus that means you would need an internal scan, not you actual weight? - its so tiny that only an internal scan would pick it up?At 6 weeks i wouldnt have expected anything to be seen with a regular scan. Have another next week (i will be 9 weeks) and expecting to be able to see something with a regular scan this time.
Hi 2006wedding Looks like were almost in the same boat with scans next week! I've built this up so much I'm just dying to see something that resembles a little baby *) Very nervous about it but also so excited to actually see that my feeling so sick and fed up is actually for something I suppose if they do an internal scan it won't be the end of the world anyway if it makes it clear. I need to get used to these things now I suppose!
charli Posts: 5994
you'll be almost 11 weeks - here is a pic of a scan done at 11 weeks - i think it is pretty clear [img:37qcz6l5]http://z.about.com/d/pregnancy/1/0/6/4/991aaaw.jpg[/img:37qcz6l5] and if your dates are a week earlier like you said here is one at 10 weeks [img:37qcz6l5]http://z.about.com/d/pregnancy/1/0/T/3/991aaaag.jpg[/img:37qcz6l5]
Oh wow charli God I can't believe I have something that looks like that inside me! Makes it so much more real....I can't wait for next week to see mine :o)ll
charli Posts: 5994
i know - i thought you would find that re-assuring, though obviously they are very clear pictures - i hope you get a good look too, either way it will reassuring to see the little heart flutter! :lvs