First trimester and not sleeping?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

tickingclock Posts: 609
Hi, as you can see I'm still in my first trimester and I'm just not sleeping. I'm normally a great sleeper and need a lot of sleep to feel refreshed, however the past week I'm finding it extremely difficult to actually fall asleep (despite being absolutely exhausted!) and then am waking up very early and not able to go back to sleep. This is really unlike me and it's getting me down. I'm just not functioning well at all. Even if I have the time to nap in the afternoon, I just cannot fall asleep! Anyone else with this problem? Anyone know the cause of it?
Silini2 Posts: 3834
Yes I never sleep in the first trimester!! Too ill and also just can't sleep. I find that it improves a bit for me about 14 weeks and only really gets near normal at 20 weeks!! I never sleep right when pregnant. Unfortunately it's v common.... It's such hard going you poor thing.
tickingclock Posts: 609
Thanks Silini. It's just so tough as am working 45 hour weeks and studying part time as well. :weep Thanks for the sympathy!
twoboys Posts: 320
I love my sleep too...insomnia is always the first sign of pregnancy for me on both boys. You can download the GentleBirth free Relaxed 1st trimester Mp3 and put it on your phone or try a meditation app - usually knocks me out. Tracy
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
I second the gentle birthing CDs. I had no problem going asleep when it was staying asleep that was my problem. Would be wide awake at 3am and wrecked in work. The CDs used to help me get back to sleep I also got a lavender spray for my pillow late in my pregnancy and found it great. I wish I had it earlier Unfortunately it happened for the whole pregnancy, not just the 1st trimester
platinumbride Posts: 751
Exact same for me ticking clock. Although I fall asleep quite easily I'm awake at 3am, 5am, 6am etc etc and then wrecked again by lunchtime. Must just try the GB listening again when I wake during the night and might help me get off again.
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
I'm having issues as well - falling asleep easily enough at night, but then I wake at about 5am to use the loo and there's no going back to sleep. I can only imagine it'll get tougher once there's a bump in the equation as well...
Mari yay Posts: 4045
Was the same in my first trimester, such a nightmare as I had a long commute for work. Try some warm milk, or a nutritionist suggested to me to have half a sandwich before bed.
Silini2 Posts: 3834
I should have recommended the gentlebirth CDs , the early pregnancy one really helped me.
zig and zag Posts: 298
I'm 32weeks pregnant and awake since 2am!!!! Trying to fall back asleep is almost impossible - now the birds are at it! Argh! Suppose my ds (21months) waking every few hours isn't helping either... :( Fingers crossed it will pass for you