Fish for dinner - need ideas

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Time For A Change Posts: 6885
Hubby and I have started the Motivation diet, it's working already, which is great. Trying to come up with ideas for dinner, isn't easy, when you've to take into account what you can and can't eat and whether you've already had your max of carbs for the day. Hubby rarely eats fish, so I nearly fell off my seat when he asked me to pick up some smoked cod/fish for tonight. Thing is, sauces are a no-no, he said he'd just have the fish and spinach, but I think that'll be too dry. Can any of you suggest a way to serve the fish, but a way that it won't be dry. I'm clueless when it comes to ideas for fish.
Jawl Posts: 8881
Why don't you pan fry it with herbs etc in Light Spray? It's never dry really.
He's after saying "just pick up a tin of sugar-free beans, so we'll have fish, spinach, beans and a small potato!" Oh dear God!!! :duh: Doesn't exactly sound the most apetising dinner.
mammymcphee Posts: 4477
Bake it in the oven in some tinfoil, nice and moist! im mad for some seabass now :innocent: :innocent:
scullly Posts: 240
As someone else said, wrap it in tin foil and cook in the oven. If olive oil is also a no no, then pour 1 or 2 tablespoons of water over it. Season the fish with salt and pepper and then maybe add some sliced lemon and fresh dill. Wrap it in the foil and cook for about 20/25 mins at 180 C. It's very healthy and really tasty. Good luck!
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
I third the tin-foil! Also a squeeze of lemon and spoon of water and some herbs. It'll steam in the tinfoil and water then and won't be dry. ONly cook it for a short amount of time though, after ten minutes check it, it shouldn't need much more. I usually just use some basil but I hear tarragon and dill are lovley with fish too. You could combine the potato and spinach to make a kinda rosti/potato cake that might be a bit more appetising? Nuke the potatoe in the microwave and scoop out the filling. Meanwhile wilt the spinach in a couple of spoons of water in a frying pan and when it's all wilted down squash all the liquid out of it and then chop it up and mix it with the mash/filling from the potato. Season with a good sprinkle of salt and black pepper. Form the potato mixture into little patties (add a little chive or spring onion or regular onion if you have it for taste) then fry in some Fry Light on the pan until each side is golden brown. Might be nicer than just plain potato and plain spinach? Would also go nice with the beans!
islandlil Posts: 1059
[quote="mammymcphee":suz0aqg7]Bake it in the oven in some tinfoil, nice and moist! im mad for some seabass now :innocent: :innocent:[/quote:suz0aqg7] +1 over bake is great-I vary it by using different fish-salmon, coley, haddock, cod, etc and toppings, squeeze of lemon juice and some black pepper, lime juice and some chilli flakes, spoon of soy sauce, dollop of pesto, spoon of teriaki sauce, etc steaming is also good but I make a 'sauce' to have on the plate of low fat mayo with garlic granules mixed through it. Great healthy dinners. Love spinach or broccoli with fish, sweet potatoe baked chips are lovely too as is mash, or savoury rice. Yum!
caramelsquare Posts: 866
I have a lovely fish recipe. Nicest with cod but any white fish will work. Mix a dollop of mayo, grated cheese, some quartered cherry tomatoes if you have them, and a few chopped spring onions together. Season as you like. Oil an oven tray slightly then lay out your chosen fish. Pop your mixture on top and throw the whole lot in hot oven for about 20 mins (I think I overdo fish as I am so afraid to underdo it!) It is lovely with some couscous or spuds etc. And so handy, and relatively low fat really. Might be a bit "saucy" for your husband's taste but thought I would put this recipe out there anyway!
Rogue User Posts: 6101
[quote="Time For A Change":fbr10ou3]Hubby and I have started the Motivation diet, it's working already, which is great. Trying to come up with ideas for dinner, isn't easy, when you've to take into account what you can and can't eat and whether you've already had your max of carbs for the day. Hubby rarely eats fish, so I nearly fell off my seat when he asked me to pick up some smoked cod/fish for tonight. Thing is, sauces are a no-no, he said he'd just have the fish and spinach, but I think that'll be too dry. Can any of you suggest a way to serve the fish, but a way that it won't be dry. I'm clueless when it comes to ideas for fish.[/quote:fbr10ou3] When you say sauces are a no no - do you mean from a pack Cause you could make your own sauce easily. A tomato based one - just fry a large onion (I like to use red onion) on low heat for about twenty mins, (I use a tsp of butter or coconut oil) then add some cherry tomatoes (as much or as little as you like) Fry them on medium heat until they soften a little, now add a spoon of half fat creme fraiche, salt n Pepper and voila - a delicious, healthy tomato based sauce that goes with anything. ETA - you can make a blue cheese (or other cheese) sauce like this too. Just fry the onion again and then add about 60g of blue cheese, melt, then add the creme fraiche again adn a little water if it's too thick. Salt and pepper and voila delicious healthy blue cheese sauce. You can do this with loads of things to make different sauces, just adding different herbs or lemon juice, pesto , loads of things.
Ladies, thanks so much for the ideas. Unfortunatley we got in at the same time last night - late, so I didn't get a chance to try any of those gorgeous suggestions. It was so late when I got to SV, that the fish counter was cleared, there was only one piece of pre-packed cod left that was going to be out of date today, and it had butter with it. All the others were salmon, kippers and mussels, which he won't touch with a barge pole. Went over to the fish counter and the guy very kindly found the two last pieces of smoked coley for me. Hubby said that the diet says to eat 4oz of fish, the pieces were 7 and 8oz....huge, and all for just €3.65!! :ooh Great value. I love the sound of the potato and spinach cakes, definetley trying that, and I'm going to print off the rest of the recipes for the next Fish Feast. One thing we find with the spinach, is that we can't drain enough water off it, so there's always a puddle on the plate. Are you able to steam spinach, and how long does it take? Thanks again ladies, much appreciated. :xxx