Flaxseed warning **

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
Im just over 6 weeks pregnant and can feel the tmi constipation starting to set in, I had it the whole pregnancy on my LO so I was going to remedy this now and make a dietary change now. I went out and bought a back of milled flaxseeds, pupmkin seeds and sunflower seeds yesterday cost me €8 I asked were they ok to take the girl said fine. Ive been reasearching since and apparently flaxseeds are not safe in pregnancy. They release something called lignans which mimic eostrogen in the body and is not safe at all for babies as it can cause miscarriage. I had never heard that before and I often hear people recommending flaxseeds during pregnancy for constipation so this is a heads up girls! I looked up the site of the brand that I bought the seeds from and it say's [quote:13yj0bg7]"Flaxseed is also beneficial during pregnancy as the Omega-3 can help with the brain development of the unborn child. It is also high in Calcium which is essential for growth. Also contains Zinc which is important for the immune system, for all ages" [/quote:13yj0bg7]http://www.linwoodshealthfoods.com/faqs.aspx On loads of other sites you get information like this : [quote:13yj0bg7]Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Taking flaxseed by mouth during pregnancy is POSSIBLY UNSAFE. Flaxseed can act like the hormone estrogen. Some healthcare providers worry that this might harm the pregnancy, although to date there is no reliable clinical evidence about the effects of flaxseed on pregnancy outcomes. The effect of flaxseed on breast-fed infants is unknown at this time. Stay on the safe side, and don’t use flaxseed if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.[/quote:13yj0bg7] http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... l/991.html There are plenty of debates on numerous mother to be /parenting websites. Ill leave it up to yourself to decide Obviously do your own research as I fould one or two websites that say they are fine but Im going to er on the side of caution!
saz12 Posts: 217
i am 28 weeks and been eating them the whole way through :) :) Didnt know that...oops!
Lizzie02 Posts: 2624
Thanks for posting that YoMammSo as I take a tablespoon of this on my porridge every morning. I have dreadful constipation from the steroids & cyclogest I am taking.
marles Posts: 1397
I have to say I took it every morning in my porridge and had no problems.I stopped taking it when I was bf'ing as I felt it was causing DD wind.
hestia Posts: 2368
That's a new one on me. Congrats on your news Yomammaso.
Diamondz Posts: 2208
Congrats on the pregnancy YoMammaSo! Didn't know that about flaxseeds!! An alternative for constipation would be to use linseeds - great for constipation and can be used while pregnant.....
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Ah congrats missus- didn't realise that you were duffed up again!! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll Re the flaxseed I would imagine that you would want to be eating a lot of it for it to impact your Estrogen levels. If you want something to cure constipation crack open the prune juice- it's mighty stuff!
Thanks for the well wishes girls, I must be a glutten for punishment LOL. I dont know whats going but im not getting notification updates at all weird. Maybe it was linseeds I was supposed to look up in the first place and I got confused and found that out about flaxseeds along the way! Its one that contains a mix of flaxseeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, Im sure a spoon a day prob wouldnt do any harm, but now that i know about it I dont know if i can knowingly take it IYKWIM ?
New MrsA Posts: 113
Try kiwis - they will defo get the bowels moving!
Oh i cant eat them their like eating nettles yuk