Flowers from the Dublin Flower Market

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

one of each Posts: 1277
Hi Girls, Anyone have any idea how long flowers will last if bought from the Dublin Flower Market as I will need to buy them a good few days before the wedding. I was thinking about getting flowers here for the button holes & seat ends in the church.
freesia1 Posts: 12
Hi there, If you condition your flowers as soon as you get them home they will keep for a good week and still look new fresh. Cut the bottom of all the flowers at an angle and with a knife not a sissors as a sissors tends to bruise and makes it that bit more difficult for them to drink. If you have roses , scald the ends after cutting in boiling water for about ten seconds its like re~birth for them . Keep them in a cool room out of direct sunlight and change the water daily. Put cut flower food into every bucket / vase, you'll get satchets in any flower shop. :wv
Anonymous Posts: 24542
wifin Posts: 4761
Silly question but can you get someone in the flower marekt to make up displays for you or is it just loose flowers?
Anonymous Posts: 24542
[quote:10yh9ex6]Silly question but can you get someone in the flower marekt to make up displays for you or is it just loose flowers?[/quote:10yh9ex6] I think it's just the loose flowers. It's a wholesaler, where the florists go to get their own stuff, so I wouldn't imagine they'd do up the arrangements for you. but theres no harm in asking
Octomum Posts: 131
Hi, I'm getting married on 28th December 07 and am collecting my flowers on 24th December. The girl in the flower market is so nice to deal with. I told her my concerns about my flowers (roses) keeping fresh and she told me to take a bunch home for a test run and see how long they last. She did up a bouquet for me in about 10 mins - they were gorgeous! Anyway I took them home, put them in a vase with flower food and put them in the en suite to keep them away from light. They were absolutely fine..they actually lasted longer than a week and they still looked gorgeous. Unfortunately she can't do them up for me the week of the wedding because she is off for Christmas week but I have a florist who will do up my bouquets if I collect the flowers myself! :o)ll
one of each Posts: 1277
[quote="xmasbride07":1wg1v5il]Hi, I'm getting married on 28th December 07 and am collecting my flowers on 24th December. The girl in the flower market is so nice to deal with. I told her my concerns about my flowers (roses) keeping fresh and she told me to take a bunch home for a test run and see how long they last. She did up a bouquet for me in about 10 mins - they were gorgeous! Anyway I took them home, put them in a vase with flower food and put them in the en suite to keep them away from light. They were absolutely fine..they actually lasted longer than a week and they still looked gorgeous. Unfortunately she can't do them up for me the week of the wedding because she is off for Christmas week but I have a florist who will do up my bouquets if I collect the flowers myself! :o)ll[/quote:1wg1v5il] Thanks everyone for your very helpfull replies. Does that mean the flower markets are closed Christmas week? Thanks again,
emma1980 Posts: 2219
they close up day before christmas eve....u shud ask kortinia in dave byrne flowers {in the market} can she do ur dispalys, bouquets etc...shes a fantastic forist O-O
Octomum Posts: 131
Hi, I just spoke to the girl I was dealing with in dave byrne flowers @ 8734025. Basically she said they won't know until closer to Christmas what exact day they are going to close or re-open. They usually close 23rd/24th and re-open about a week later. Give her a call and have a chat with her...she's really helpful. HTH