Flu Vaccine Question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsPositive Posts: 1548
Hi, Are any of you nervous about getting this? Im still contemplating it, thank God I have never had the flu, but I wonder how well these are tested on pregnant women, ie is it a different injection each year for each strain of flu or what? some friends who are pregnant have got it others wouldnt touch it with a barge pole, id like to hear your thoughts please thank you
DaisyB Posts: 1708
i got it for the 2010/2011 flu season while pregnant and all was fine with me and baby..i'm planning on getting it now this time too just have to get around to booking it!
fxfor3 Posts: 2347
I'm planning on getting it this time but my gp has advised me to wait until after the first trimester ! All GPS have there own opinions on it I think but I'm confident with her so ill get it at beginning of 2 trimester Just weigh up all your pros and cons and see I'd you can decide that way and maybe ask your gp their opinion
zig and zag Posts: 298
Hey girls I'm really interested in opinions on this too. My gp yesterday told me I'm must get it done (but I never had it done when I was pregnant on ds 2010-2011 and all worked out fine thank god) I'm a little worried it could harm baby as I'm not too sure about it and what it contains? Just edited to say she said I must have it done soon like couple of week's..
LadyLayla Posts: 350
I got it done last week and was fine afterwards. Would rather get the vaccine than the flu at this stage!
Mamabear Posts: 53
Hi Mrs Positive, There's a detailed recent discussion here: [url] flu-injection-t376508.html[/url] The fact it protects baby from the flu for a few months after it's born swung it for me, Mamabear
Cats1 Posts: 215
Hey there Mrs Positive, I'm having this done in a couple of weeks at my next GP appointment. I had the proper flu years ago and I never want to experience it again... it wasn't just a bad cold which I know can floor you as well. I was out of action for 2 weeks, I had convulsions (on Christmas Day) and was bought to hospital on Stephen's Day (I was 17 at the time and completely healthy)... was an awful experience... I've also had the flu jab before and was fine with it... Everybody has there own opinion and that's grand but I'm getting it (and I HATE needles... I'm a fainter!!!) Check this out it's very informative http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pandemic-f ... women.aspx
Missy2012B Posts: 35
Hello ladies, I got this yesterday, My Doctor advised me to get it, as I have health problems, I usually always faint when I get injections and bloods taken. But yesterday I was fine, the doctor knew what I was like, so talked to me about something else, and I forgot all about it. I am feeling fine, no sore arm, no red mark.. all good
windycity Posts: 2241
Ive had it as my consultant urged me to. No side effects and I feel good knowing I wont - fingers crossed - get sick before the babies come x
Dr of love Posts: 425
I had it, didnt seem like a big deal but and no side effects, but naturally would prefer not to have anything. However my gps reason was that pregnant women die very easily with swine flu which is still around. Also bad flu can cause preterm labour etc. which can be risky. I would avoid the vaccine if I could be there is a very strong case for getting it.