Flu Vaccine Question - Page 3

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sunny505 Posts: 1807
I will probably get it but my worries would be that the doctors or campaigns don't always get it right. For example the swine flu epidemic and children were advised to get it. There are now many cases of children in Ireland who got the swine flu vaccine who have developed narcolepsy. Link isn't proved fully but that particular vaccine and how it was administered is no longer recommended despite it being a national campaign at the time. So I would not just accept what is said by medical professionals without thinking long and hard about it. I remember listening to parents of teens who developed narcolepsy and it was heartbreaking. Young people into sport, music, etc full of life and their quality of life had deteriorated so much. Last I heard they were pursuing compensation. I have no idea if they were successful or not or if the link was ever fully proved but the fact it was pulled establishes that there is a risk or at the very least further investigation needed.
MrsPositive Posts: 1548
My point exactly sunny thats what Im concerned about. Had heard this before.
My point exactly sunny thats what Im concerned about. Had heard this before.
black pearl Posts: 3513
mrs p I got the swine flu vaccination on dd, as they had cases of it in the hosp and doc said good idea to get it-worst idea ever, ending up getting the swine flu anyway, at 36 weeksm and over xmas too, I was in agony, the tablets for the swine flu had written-effects on the unborn child unknown-the tablets were inly a year on the market at this stage xmas 2010, so I didnt want to take them, had to in the end. This time round I havent a notion of getting the flu vaccine, I know it also contains the swine flu one in it, but I just have no interest, it didnt work last time, so im thkn it coudl be the same this time? Thats just my opinion based on what happened to me, im sure when you speak to your consultant ye will both decide, dont be forced into it, but dont be scared out of it either, your decision will be right for you xx
thanks blackpearl Im meeting her today I know she will try and convince me as they're told to push it. xx
DaisyB Posts: 1708
just got it this morning had to go for check up with doc and i mentioned it to her and she said she could give it to me then..so i went ahead and got it..as i said before got it for 2010/11 flu season and have a healthy boy!!
Mamabear Posts: 53
Hi MrsPositive, Sorry I didn't mean to come across so strong. Sleep deprivation from 14 month old teething and pregnancy hormones means a short fuse on everything :-( As I said before it is up to personal choice. I suppose I just want to hear that people are protecting themselves - it's the mother hen in me. I really hadn't put too much thought into the other side of the debate but the last few posts are thought provoking.. Mamabear
sorry to hear your not getting much sleep a friend of mine is in the same boat at the moment and its very hard, we're still friends :thnk
Silini2 Posts: 3834
I got the swine flu vaccine on dd2, was nervous but all was well... No idea what I'll do this time!! I don't tend to get the flu but I work in a hospital so id be crazy not to I'd say... Aaarrhg can't decide!
MrsMtoB Posts: 1212
All pregnant women should get the flu vaccine. I got it myself last year on dd and no problems with it. It's perfectly safe. It protects your baby for the first few months. Can't for the life of me understand why people don't protect themselves and get it. I've seen first hand, the devastating effects of swine flu on pregnant ladies.