flying at 29w with low lying placenta

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

proud mamaof1 Posts: 825
Girls Your help would be appreciated on this one as constantly leaving messages for doc, cons etc and getting nowhere. I have booked a flight to Portugal when I will be 29 weeks (3 weeks time). I have been feeling very well throughout my pregnancy other than some ADS for a while. I had a scan at 23 weeks which indicated a low lying placenta which is not an issue for me as the midwife/sonographer has said in most cases this moves and is nothing to worry about so that is what I am doing, getting on with it. Our flights are booked with EI (Aer Lingus) and since I booked in March their criteria has changed to a lesser time for accepting pregnant ladies to fly. I can't remember what it was but it was sometime in the 30's week and now its been reduced to 28 weeks. After this time, you need to complete a form. The max is 34 weeks which doesn't count for me TG. I was talking to a friend over the weekend and she said that it should have been my cons I should contact and not my GP which I didn't do. My GP said it should be fine, but that was prior to finding out about the placenta thing. Have an appt to see her tomorrow and will discuss with her. Obviously I could lie or be able to fly but then, god forbid, something happened, my medical iinsurance may or will not cover me as I didn't tell the truth in the first place. I am sure I will be okay but its the pain in the ass of waiting for someone to call you back that is frustrating me. If I need to cancel, I want to be doing it sooner rather than later so as to be able to maybe claim some portion back. Alternatively, I may put them up for sale for someone else to enjoy at a good price. Sorry this may be longwinded but you all have been great for advice before, so presume you can help me out on this one too. Thanks and have a great day.
Babyboomerang Posts: 543
MrsFriel2B, I fly regularly with Etihad and they require a letter from my Dr from 28-36 weeks saying that I am fit to fly. I also had a low lying placenta at an early scan and my Dr still gave me the all clear to fly and gave me a letter, so I don't think it should be an issue for you. If you have an appt tomorrow with your consultant then you should be able to ask her to fill out the form. Just check how long the form is valid for, because in my case my letter is only valid for 2 weeks. It might be the case that you'll need to get the form filled out nearer the time.
spanish mum Posts: 2468
I had a low laying placenta (and anterior) at my 21 week scan. I wanted to fly at 31/32 weeks from Spain to UK, but did not feel comfortable flying if it was still low laying as i had visions of going into labour on the plane and cervix being blocked by placenta so baby couldnt come out! (the things we think of) anyway, i booked myself in urgently for a 4d scan and he told me the placenta had moved up. I was so relieved. I then had agreat scan, piccies etc, a note saying fit to fly, and i then booked a very enjoyable week away! The scan was worth its weight in gold to me, as i would have been so worried if i thought it was still laying low. If you feel fine about it, then i'd go ahead and go. If you're worried, why spoil your hols, for the sake of a scan showing that its moved up and you're all fit to go. Have a great time!
MeSB Posts: 3785