Flying at 35 weeks

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

FoundHome Posts: 1753
Just found out that we're having a work meeting in Paris for 5 days when I'm 35 weeks gone. For any of the mammies on here, would you recommend it? I don't have to commit until closer to the date but just wanted to get your opinions. I know Aer Lingus won't carry me past 34 weeks but Ryanair and Air France will. I'm flying fairly regularly at the moment (once to twice a month to the UK) and I've been ok so far. Though I had major delays during the week due to the weather and that drained me :o( My consultant/GP have been fine with me flying so far but I suppose it all depends how things progress in the next 10 weeks. I probably should check if VHI will cover me if anything was to happen also. There is also a chance that hubbie can accompany me so that would be one weight off my mind if I did go early. Any opinions/advice?
wtb Posts: 107
I had to beg my doctor to sign the release form for flying at 29 weeks. He definitely wouldn't have let me go any later. Was like getting a lecture from my dad. Could you conference call into the meetings and work remotely from Ireland?
sunny505 Posts: 1807
I wouldn't to be honest. But that's just me. Best of luck with your decision.
Anne Boleyn Posts: 709
[quote="wtb":1fz1kfn3]I had to beg my doctor to sign the release form for flying at 29 weeks. He definitely wouldn't have let me go any later. Was like getting a lecture from my dad. Could you conference call into the meetings and work remotely from Ireland?[/quote:1fz1kfn3] Did you have a medical issue or pregnancy complication? My doc told me there's no problem with me flying at Christmas (32 & 34 weeks)- I thought 36 weeks was the cut-off point. OP- I'd say as long as your doc allows it & you're feeling up to it, you should be fine.
zoey Posts: 1574
[quote="sunny505":p0ki6v4p]I wouldn't to be honest. But that's just me. Best of luck with your decision.[/quote:p0ki6v4p] + 1
Daff Posts: 11644
[quote="zoey":2hqrglv3][quote="sunny505":2hqrglv3]I wouldn't to be honest. But that's just me. Best of luck with your decision.[/quote:2hqrglv3] + 1[/quote:2hqrglv3] +1 too. You never know what might happen. YOu're in so much discomfort at this stage and it's awful. I got sciatica at 35 weeks and was in agony just sitting or moving slightly, it was horrible
wtb Posts: 107
Hey Anne boleyne. I was a high risk pregnancy alright. He just said it was a risk so late on and was worried in case something would happen. I swear I was nearly crying in the surgery cause I had the holiday booked since before I knew I was pregnant. He's my doctor since I was born so it really was like being told off by my dad! I had to tell him I knew exactly where I was going and I had directions to the nearest maternity hospital and everything and had to go back to him the week I came home just so he could check me out! Bless him!
Perci Posts: 3847
Having gone into labour at 33wks with no previous problems during the pregnancy at all, I'd have to say no!
FoundHome Posts: 1753
Well I contacted VHI (I have Family Plan Plus) and even with additional Multi-trip travel insurance I would not be covered if I went into labour/maternity hospital admission past 28 weeks, even with a doctors cert saying I was fit to travel. With the doctors cert, I can go but if anything happened I'd have to cover all the bills myself. I am going to ask my employers if they will cover me but I'm not sure if they will and if that is the case I can't see myself going TBH. I know the chances of early delivery are slim but not sure its worth the risk.
PetiteFeet Posts: 506
When would you need to let work know you are going? Maybe wait and see how you are feeling closer to the time? You might be feeling great and be up for going but equally you might be achy/tired and wanting to stay closer to home. I defo wouldn't be going if work aren't going to cover your medical expenses though and I'd want to be confident in the care you would get if something did happen.... x