FODMAP Diet-have you tried it??

Go to Health & Fitness

MidnightJasmine
Mini Wolly

FODMAP Diet-have you tried it??

Postby MidnightJasmine » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:04 am

I suffer badly from IBS. Have been hospitalised and have had endless tests done to rule out something more sinister.
Over the years I have been able to identify most foods that trigger the symptoms.
But has anyone tried this diet???
Thinking of seriously starting this. Just wondering if you've tried it how you've gotten on???

windycity
Woloholic

Re: FODMAP Diet-have you tried it??

Postby windycity » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:14 am

Heya, I have IBS too but have never heard of this diet. What is it like? What are the main things in it?

MidnightJasmine
Mini Wolly

Postby MidnightJasmine » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:46 am

I just read about it in health magazine a couple of days ago. Have looked it up online too.
The list is long but I'm thinking of giving it a go. Having terrible symptoms lately and worried about long term effects (history of bowel cancer in the family) :o(
It recommends avoiding:
wheat (white bread, pasta, pastries, cookies), onions, and artichokes, asparagus, leeks, garlic, onions, soy, beans, chickpeas, lentils, cabbage and brussel sprouts.
Dairy products-Chocolate and other sweets, beer, pre-prepared soups and sauce, honey, dried fruits like prunes, figs, dates, or raisins, apples, pears, sweet cherries, peaches, agave syrup, watermelon, papaya. Sorbitol- sugar-free chewing gum, low calorie foods; naturally it appears in stone fruits: peaches, apricots, plums.
Xylitol, mannitol, isomalt, erithrytol, arabitol, erythritol, glycol, glycerol, lactitol, ribitol.

They say to avoid these for 6-8 weeks and then reintroduce each one gradually, wait 48 hrs to see if you have reaction-if you do eliminate from diet entirely.

windycity
Woloholic

Postby windycity » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:11 pm

Hey I would def give it a go because these are all the foods that trigger my IBS! Esp cabbage, garlic, crisps, milk, lentils and beans, pasta, fake sugar - SO bad after it... I literally live on eggs, protein, very plain soups, salads... get it so bad after alcohol! literally my stomach is in bits. I find peppermint tea helps alot... its such a horrible thing to have as there is no cure or meds for it really

Go to Health & Fitness

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Swords Business Campus, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 905 9680 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T