folic acid & iron

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

wedjul05 Posts: 5673
I haven't been taking my folic acid for a few days now, is that ok? I am almost 19 wks. I have been taking it for almost 2 years solid so I should be ok? Also iron tablets, is it only if your bloods come back low for iron that you will be given iron supplements? I am not going back to see consultant until Jul so I won't know. Not feeling like I should though. I get a health check every year with work and they take bloods to check stuff like cholesterol etc. I can ask the nurse can I get my iron tested also??? Should I wait til Jul to ask consultant?
motherhubbard Posts: 3037
Hi ya.. Yeah most people are told stop taking folci acid at 14 weeks so that should be fine. Also I asked my doc about taking pregnancy vitamins or iron and he said not to unless I'm advised by him or the hospital. Hope this helps :wv
jiggy_jo Posts: 1166
I stopped the folic acid about 16 weeks i think (its hard to remember!) and i never needed to take any supplements throughout my pregnancy as my iron levels were always ok. you could always hold off on the iron, but if you felt tired or like you needed it maybe get your gp to check your bloods?
short n sweet Posts: 1802
I am taking iron with Folic Acid - Galfer FA as GP recommended this - I think my iron may have been low due to MC in December - I forgot to ask the GP how long I should take them for though - I find the iron quite hard on my stomach though so only taking every second day at the mo
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
hum....might get my occ health dept to test my iron levels so. The results should be back in well before I go and see consultant again in Jul. And the blood test will be free. Will mail them now to see if they can do it, have my health check on friday anyway. I am feeling a little tired and I checked my eyelid when you pull down you eye ( I read this somewhere!) and it wasn't that pink! Proabably nothing to worry about.
Toots12 Posts: 894
hi girls, my consultant said I could stop taking folic acid at 13-14 weeks, but that I need to continue taking iron. I'm seeing a haematologist anyway for high platelet count, which he believes is due to low iron... I would say don't start taking iron until your consultant recommends it - he will know anyway from your blood test results...