Folic acid/pre-natal vitamins

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

tinyfeet Posts: 3482
I am 5 weeks pg. I have been taking folic acid since July. Should I keep taking it or should I be taking some kind of pre-natal vitamins?
Hopefully Posts: 254
Hi Kindanervous I'm 5 weeks too. I was taking folic acid before I was ttc and while we were ttc. Now that I'm pregnant I'm only taking Pregnacare (it has 2 capsules to be taken each day ... normal Pregnacare tablet and Omega 3 capsules). Chemist said not to take folic acid as well as it's already in the pregnacare tablets. Would love to know what other girls are taking or what their doctor's advised. :wv
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Thanks Hopefully :wv Where'd you get Pregnacare? Just in the chemist?
babybuttons Posts: 886
Emme Posts: 4735
I was on folic acid then switched to sanatogen pro natal which has folic in it and vitamins and also omega oils for brain development. I stayed on them. My OB told me to take pregnicare from 12 weeks and I told him I was on sanatogen and he said that was fine. I feel much better being on vitamins. I'm eating healthy enough but it's good insurance for those days I might not do so well, also I don't eat fish so it's important that I get omega.
Hopefully Posts: 254
Hey Hopeforababy ... you have me a bit worried now :eek !! Why did you doctor advise you not to take Pregnacare? I didn't ask the doctor, it was the pharmacist in our local chemist that recommended it. It says on the box that it can be taking from ttc, through pregnancy and up to breast feeding.
hi emme when did u start on the sanatogen pro natal . did you wait for the 12 weeks? i will defo start something after the 12 weeks as i dont eat fish either
hopefully i wouldnt be worried she didnt actually say why not to take it she just said she would prefer if i didnt take anything else and just let the folic acid do its job until im at the 12 week mark
Emme Posts: 4735
Hi Hopeforbaby, I started on folic acid before I even came off the pill so I think then I switched to the pro natal about a month before we started to try (when I came off pill). I'm really happy with it. I don't know for a fact but I really think it's helped calm my very hormone prone skin. I was dreading coming off the pill for that reason alone. Hopefully I wouldn't worry about taking pregnicare at all. Also, just to let you know if you register with eumom.ie for a mum to be pack you get a free weeks supply of pregnicare.
tanyababy. Posts: 511
to the best of my knowledge you should take folic acid for at least 12 weeks into the pregnancy. My consultant advised me to take pregnacare which I got in the chemist. I have stopped taking folic acid