folic acid query

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mummyinlove10 Posts: 908
so have past the 12 week mark :o)ll so do i stop taking my folic acid altogether ?? is there something i should take instead of it for the next stage
Babymama12 Posts: 267
Hi My midwife told me I could stop the folic acid at 12 weeks but they have not put me on anything else. I expect they might put me on iron at my 20 week appointment. Best thing is to ask your doctor/midwife.
Greece Posts: 1800
Hiya - yeah stop taking the folic acid now and if you like take Pregnacare. Its what my doc told me to take from 12 weeks on, its only a multi vitamin and you buy it in Boots or any chemist, has everything you need in it, ask them in the chemist if you want reassurance but its prob the best thing and then later on you might be told to take iron or something, I havent been though so still taking the pregnacare and find it good :wv .
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
I second what still in shock said. I took folic acid prior to conception but then I switched to Pregnacare. It has folic acid in it too
Mamaboom Posts: 2094
I stopped folic acid at 12 weeks too, I'm taking Pregnacare now (when i think of it!) but it's very expensive; Sanatogen also do a pregnancy multi vitamin and it's much cheaper.
bride babe Posts: 131
I read keep it up till 14 weeks, midwife said just keep going after that until you finish the pack. I think the pregnecare multivitamins have folic acid in them also, so you wont need both. Re iron, you only need to go on it if you HB (blood) starts to drop, I didnt need them till week 27 when it dropped very marginally, and Im a veggie. Beware of iron unless you need it, as it constipates most pregnant woman (even tho it may never have if you took it before you were pregnant). Constipation= huge risk of piles so be warned!! (from one with 5 piles- ouch!!) BB
wifin Posts: 4761
[quote="Bababoom":17mus5fb]I stopped folic acid at 12 weeks too, I'm taking Pregnacare now (when i think of it!) but it's very expensive; Sanatogen also do a pregnancy multi vitamin and it's much cheaper.[/quote:17mus5fb] Yep Boots own brand have one too, I'm taking that...can't justify the price of Pregnacare!
no 2 2013 Posts: 361
i asked the doctor in hospital today and she said it is fine to stop, you only have to take it up to 3 months
tastymama Posts: 61
Just for any of you ladies interested in taking the pregnacare it's about 3 euros cheaper in Tesco's. You'll find it where all the other vitamins etc. are. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, it's 9 euros in my local chemist and it's something like 5.49 in tescos!!