Folic Acid?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Minxie Posts: 884
I'm just wondering about this Folic Acid thing everyone is on about. I've just started on it and I believe I have to wait 14 weeks for the full absorption or whatever....that, IMHO, is a long time to wait when you want to go for it asap. So is there a compromise? Would we be ok to start trying say 8-10 weeks into taking Folic Acid.....did anyone go through a full pregnancy without it? Am such a novice at this stuff, I'd appreciate anybodys words of wisdom, ta!
*Smajra* Posts: 1440
Peaches, all women of child bearing age are advised to take one folic acid tablet a day even if you dint plan on getting pregnant just to be on the safe side. It is not something I'd take chances with as surely a healthy baby without brain or spinal defects such as spina bifida will make the wait worth while. I understand the urge to try straight away but in the grand scheme of things a couple of months really isn't that long to wait and is so important for your baby. Check out the link below. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/fact/folnow.htm
Minxie Posts: 884
Cheers for the reply and the info. I should just excercise some restraint and patience really!! :roll: :lol: Thanks
No problem. From personal experience I really do understand how hard it is to wait when you've decided to start trying but I also know a woman who didn't take it and her daughter was born with spina bifida which could have been prevented by taking a little tablet everyday for a few months. Its heart breaking.
MrsSan Posts: 475
Peaches, I had only went off the pill and hadn't started taking folic acid when I fell pregnant (as it was a bit of a surprise) but started taking it as soon as I knew I was pregnant and am hoping that all will be ok. I think it would be well worth the wait for 14 weeks if even just to keep your mind at rest. Pregnancy can be worrying enough without having that to think about. The most important part of it is that babs is ok.
*MrsShamrock* Posts: 383
Hi I didnt take Folic Acid at all before getting pregnant with my two and they're both strong, healthy children. I'm not saying dont take it - I'm just saying I didnt and our kids are fine. That said, I am probably going to start taking it soon as we are going to try for our third. :wink:
Your right Mrs Shamrock, the chances that everything would be fine are high. I din't take it on my first as he wasn't planned. But if spina bifida was going to occur (which you wouldn't know before hand) it prevents it so its always better to be safe than sorry.
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Does it matter which type you take,i bought the Ferrograd ones?
Mrs Gill Posts: 223
I would definitely take it just to be on the safe side. My sister was born with mild spina bifida and luckily after several operations she was fine. However my mother had another baby afterwards and he died of severe spina bifida at 3 days old. At that stage nobody was advised to take folic acid. The incidence of spina bifida is actually higher in ireland than in Europe. Dont mean to worry anybody and lots of our generation were born healthy without their mothers taking any folic acid, but i think its better to take it.
mrs.bride Posts: 157
Girls, I'm totally ignorant about this type of thing too. Were not planning on TTC until around July - September next year but I am not on the pill but still practising safe sex. Just in case I were to get pg if I were to start taking it now would it matter that I was taking it for a year before I started TTC? Probably sounds like a stupid question but I haven't got a clue about it? Cheers. Mrs. Bride