Folic Acid

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mumof2 Posts: 3864
I am prob getting ahead of myself here, but we plan to start trying for a baby as soon as we get married. I was thinking about starting to take Folic Acid 2 months before the wedding but I would still be on the pill as well. Does anyone know if a) this is possible and safe to do and b) how long before you start trying should you be taking Folic Acid Have been hearing all the great things about it, but to be honest am still a bit ignorant Any advice at all greatly appreciated :?:
bibikay Posts: 644
Hi there, yes, it's not just possible to take Folic acid and the Pill, but it's actually recommended that you do so. Recommendations from medical community are that [b:2qeezchw]all [/b:2qeezchw]women of child bearing age should take Folic Acid regardless of contraception , the reasoning being that a huge number of pregnancies are unplanned so best to be on it in case you get caught. you should deffo start taking it at least 14 weeks before getting pregnant, but going with the guidelines above septemberprincess, why not just start taking it now? hth bibikay
*Smajra* Posts: 1440
You should definitely start taking it now. It can only do good, not harm. Check out this thread for some more info http://www.weddingsonline.ie/forums/vie ... hp?t=22753
Girls thanks for that. You are right as well. Have decided to start taking it now alright so will pick it up in a chemist over the weekend (I am presuming you buy it in the chemist and not in a supermarket right?)
Ye you can get it in a chemist. The brand doesn't matter but I took Clonfolic.
Thanks for all the help Mrs DTB. Read the link you posted as well, very interesting read. Getting a bit excited now at the thought of starting down this baby making journey, am I sad or what
Its SO far from sad! As soppy as it sounds its actually one of, if not thee, most important thing we can do in our lives. Imagine we have the ability to create life?! Its mind blowing if you want to get deep about it :lol: The joy a baby brings is undescribable and its a love you'll have never felt before. God I'm excited for you!!
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
septemberprincess did you get the pm i sent you?