Menu

Follow on from Highly Recommended

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsIbizaGirl Posts: 979
Just wondered after the programme last night. We never even thought about having our wedding abroad.
hotlips Posts: 433
Yes I'm having mine in Italy next June, we looked into it here and it was just too expensive even though we would have the money, I just couldn't justify spending it all on one day. Also I didn't agree with Joe in what he said for the cost of the other people going to a wedding, he didn't acocunt for how much people spend if a wedding is here. Between the hen and stag of the couple, the night away, the outfit for the wedding, drinks at the wedding and the wedding present, you are looking at over a grand at least between two of us. For a wedding abroad, people won't go if they don't want to take the holidays etc, but most people make a holiday out of it. We have been to three weddings abroad so far and there will be more but I think they are much better fun.
Betsy May Posts: 2168
We briefly considered having it in Italy because we both love it there and it would have been cheaper and had fantastic food. However after thinking about it, I concluded I would get very stressed trying to organise it remotely and without speaking Italian. Also, a lot of our guests are coming from outside Ireland and so we thought it would be quite special for them to come to an Irish wedding and give us a chance to show off some of things we love about our county and our country.
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
We also considered Italy but there would have been a couple of elderly relatives that we really wanted to be at the wedding and they wouldn't have been able for the travelling, heat or food etc. and we felt that it wouldn't be much of a honeymoon, worrying about them. As for the program, I kind of wondered about the pricing for the comparison and how they did the costings and I also felt the price of attending a wedding in Ireland wasn't fairly portrayed either.
sonopotere Posts: 1124
i put yes as i have considered it, but decided against in the end. Have too many elderly relatives that we want at the wedding and didnt think it was fair to make them travel too far away?
meeeeeow Posts: 1349
no - Didn't consider it as h2b isn't Irish so all his side will be coming a fair way already and didn't think I'd be right to ask them to travel again.
Nikki Kavanagh
MrsDecemberBride07 Posts: 594
i said no because a lot of my relatives which are close to me are elderly and wouldnt travel. that ruled it out straight away. however, i love the idea of getting married in an old castle in the italian country side or on the beach...
CinnamonGirl Posts: 140
[quote="hotlips":54j9gswe]Also I didn't agree with Joe in what he said for the cost of the other people going to a wedding, he didn't acocunt for how much people spend if a wedding is here. Between the hen and stag of the couple, the night away, the outfit for the wedding, drinks at the wedding and the wedding present, you are looking at over a grand at least between two of us.[/quote:54j9gswe] You can still have all those costs on top of the flights, accommodation etc. I know a few people who have had foreign weddings as well as foreign stags and hens, an engagement party and a coming home party for those who couldn't travel. I'm not criticising a foreign wedding at all, I've been invited to 2, went to one and loved it, one of the best I've ever been to but a lot of people I'd imagine will still have hens, stag, parties and the wedding itself. As for the OP question, we didn't consider it but that doesn't mean I have any issues with it, each to their own but I wouldn't feel obliged to go if I couldn't for whatever reasons.