Following on from how much in a card

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

frazzledkitty Posts: 882
I know it's a rude enough question to ask but i've no one else to ask we haven't planned a honeymoon because we havent gotten a loan and are paying for things as we go when we get paid, so we are putting off booking anything and are planning on booking a few days away with whatever cash gifts we get the thing is we have no idea what people will give or if we will just get presents if we do get presents ill be delighted as to be honest i am in dire need of towels and cutlery and all that so would be delighted with anything we get realistically though how much do people normally get in cards in cash gifts? i've had friends who have married but i wouldnt ask in case they took it the wrong way :-8
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
It varies from couple to couple how much you get, although I think it is safe to say you will get enough for a break, as long as you aren't expecting a big massive once in a lifetime holiday IYKWIM. I would advise you to book the fortnight you want to go (or week) off work and then go on to a website like icelolly.com where you can get get great hols for cheap prices the week before you leave. My friend got a 5* 10 day break in Malta for £359 each all inclusive. Thats what we are going to do. That way you will definitely have received enough to cover, and any extra can be put to savings/upgrading hols etc. So basically who will get away on cash gifts, as long as you don't overestimate how much you receive. As chances are you'll receive less
we're only going away for a few days anyway but we were thinking will we go to Killarney or go somewhere like Paris or something. i'm not depending at all on any cash gifts as people don't have it so anything we get is a bonus to us as we don't have a loan to pay back after it..what we get will be our own but just don't want to go and book flights or a week away and then be struggling to cover it or spending money and the likes thanks for the reply :)
vidia Posts: 2960
Cash wise, we received mostly €150 per couple for our wedding, some gave more, some gave less, some gave "housey presents". It is a touchy subject alright, but sure thats what we're here for!!!
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
Not to give you a short answer, but you've really no way of knowing. 5 or 6 years ago friends of mine would have said that the amount they got from guests more than paid for the wedding. However, today money is much tighter for a lot of people. I wouldn't be banking on receiving anything (although I am sure of course you'll get some cash gifts). From reading threads on here recently, a lot of people are receiving gifts instead of money. I think the way you are going about it now is really sensible- pay as you go along and then after the wedding see if you can afford a few days away. But I wouldn't go booking a big honeymoon based on the assumption that it will be paid for.
hils138 Posts: 680
We got approx 200 from our guests. We also had a wedding list but about a third of the guests gave us cash. However, I won't rely on it as all your guests might buy you kettles and toasters !!!!
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
[quote="frazzledkitty":1jieqbq1]we're only going away for a few days anyway but we were thinking will we go to Killarney or go somewhere like Paris or something. i'm not depending at all on any cash gifts as people don't have it so anything we get is a bonus to us as we don't have a loan to pay back after it..what we get will be our own but just don't want to go and book flights or a week away and then be struggling to cover it or spending money and the likes thanks for the reply :)[/quote:1jieqbq1] You will have more than enough to cover that than I would say! Ooh Paris :heartbeat:
vidia Posts: 2960
With regard to bargains, Im friends with Sunway Travel on FB, and the deals that pop up would make you cry like a baby :weep Eg - €200 for a week to the sun, flight, transfer and accom!!!! If I could only get the time off work O:|
this is cringey but i'm actually hoping someone buys me a lovely stainless steal toaster as i have one of those cheap tesco ones and a matching tesco kettle! i actually hope some people DO buy us gifts as i'll be delighted re doing the house with all the bits then after the wedding. i love opening presents it's like Christmas..lol
elpi Posts: 748
We got married last year and the majority of people gave cash. Majority of them gave €200, some €100 and a few more than €200. You''ll definitely get more than enough to cover a week in Paris or something like that.