Following on from "if you knew then"....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Duffers Posts: 1841
I noticed that wishing we had followed our dreams career wise was a common wish. Just wondering what is stopping you from doing what you want? Dont mean that in a get up and do it so kinda way. I mean is it cost of re-training, location, other commitments like kids, or being out of work while you train up etc? And what is it you'd realistically like to do? Like id love to work in Seaworld Florida....fat chance! Realistically Id love to be a mid-wife but my nearest hospital would be 90mins drive. To do that would mean moving for definite...but love it where we are, by the sea, even if its in the middle of nowhere. :-8 Im sure ill come up with something Id love to do from home....now what can I do??? :innocent:
Daff Posts: 11644
I would love to be a midwife. Seriously want to do it. Feel like I've found my calling. Looked into it and it's a 4 year course. First 3 years are unpaid so would need to find the money for childcare. But then thought of leaving it til they start school and it might be somewhat manageable. Then discovered cause I've already done a degree that I'd have to pay fees. There's no way on earth we could afford that and childcare so that's that. Have a secret hope that somethig will happen, it will fall into place somehow. I know it would mean long hours, shift work, missing xmas with the kids every second year etc but it would be such a fulfilling role and I've just such a huge interest in that are. some day...
Emme Posts: 4735
I just want to be content and comfortable and never have to worry about anything...but thats not how life is. Other than that I'd love to be a writer but there are a few walls to get over there! I never had the confidence when I was younger and really what got in my way was the whole 'don't be or do anything different' attitude that prevails in Ireland I find. I would have also loved to have worked in the third world for a year when I was younger for totally selfish reasons really...I don't think I have any perspective and I'd imagine a few months with people in those conditions would give me some. Plus I'm about as cuddly as a wet fish so I think I could handle it. I met my DH at 21 though and while I wouldn't have missed a moment with him it did stop me 'developing' in a way and I became lazy so that stopped me really. So basically nothing stops me from doing anything apart from myself!
mammyslittlerogue Posts: 2184
I would have loved to be a primary school teacher but didnt get the points (back then i had social care in mind or childcar course) but changed at the last minute to travel and tourism O:| O:| i am not clever enough to be a teacher but if i had've worked harder at school i prob could have, now couldnt afford (time or money) to retrain and there is so many cuts etc...
MrsWoggle Posts: 1793
Wish I'd been a teacher too. Changed my CAO at the last minute on a whim, think it was that I didn't like all the holy statues in Mary I or something ridiculous like that. Can't afford to leave my job, get childcare and go back to college. However much I regretted it before, since I had a baby I regret it 100 times more.
Mrs W Posts: 2923
[quote="Daff ":2bbe3z5f]I would love to be a midwife. Seriously want to do it. Feel like I've found my calling. Looked into it and it's a 4 year course. First 3 years are unpaid so would need to find the money for childcare. But then thought of leaving it til they start school and it might be somewhat manageable. Then discovered cause I've already done a degree that I'd have to pay fees. There's no way on earth we could afford that and childcare so that's that. Have a secret hope that somethig will happen, it will fall into place somehow. I know it would mean long hours, shift work, missing xmas with the kids every second year etc but it would be such a fulfilling role and I've just such a huge interest in that are. some day...[/quote:2bbe3z5f] If your unemployed at the moment, you might be able to get a back to school allowance and if you're a mature student then I think you should be able to go back without having to pay fees? Might be worth looking into anyway
Daff Posts: 11644
thanks Mrs W, never thought of that! will definately look into it further! wouldn't be going for this year but next year would love too as dd1 will be starting her free playschool year and dd2 will be that bit odler too. thanks for the advice!
HippyChic Posts: 1812
If I were more out-going...I'd love to have been an actress. I studied drama for years and I loved it, I can memorise lines in a heartbeat and I think it would have really suited me. I'd also love to be a trained chef (I LOVE cooking), a teacher (primary), a designer of fabric, a pathologist, a writer and to have stayed working with animals. Sadly, I'm too flighty and never stick with anything as I get bored with it once I know how to do it O:|
GigglingMonkey Posts: 514
I almost joined the Gardi twice! First time I applied got called for the appitude test and was all set for doing it and my friend put me off it (wish I didn't listen to her!) and the second time they just advertised it when we were in the process of looking for a house, so I had a choice of putting off buying a house or going for the Guards. For the last two years I've been wanting to do a make up course and work at it i.e side line jobs Debs, Weddings etc but at the moment with the way I work I can't commit myself to an evening course. A few people have told me that I would be good at make up. I wouldn't be doing it for the money.....it would be something that I would enjoy doing.