Following on from the Name Game

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

fantac Posts: 4109
I've been mega fussy about names since forever, I think its because i hate my own so much. When i hear of yet another sean or jack or eva or ava or isobel, i often ask myself "do they not realiase that is the most widely used name in the country". its been going on years tho i guess - we had 5 jenny's in our year at school. i've probably offended a heap of people withthose names - they are random selections only!! anyone with me on wanting something a little less popular for their LO?
justwaitin Posts: 2462
but then not everyone wants to have different names, i thought ds name was a small bit different as it was oldish name, but i have met a few babies with the same name as ds. i dont mind, but do think there are lots of jack's and ella's around though. were just thinking about names again were kinda stumped for a boys name have a few girls names that i like, but dp not keen.
yeah i guess not everyone wants something different - i suppose i'm the same with clothes or anything really - i'd rather have something a little bit different to everyone else. funny, were not even considering number 2 yet, but we still chat about possible names the whole time - we've got the boy, but cant come up with a girl!
would you like to share ur boys il trade my girls. Girls name: Emily Olivia Julia i suppose there all very normal names.
they're lovely though - the kind we like too - a bit oldie and not every child in the playground will have it - it's not that i'd want them to stick out like a sore thumb, but just something slightly more imaginative than james or john! you'll possibly hate them but our 3 best boy names are geoffrey nicholas guy
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
I have no objections to something a little bit different but do keep in mind it's the child that has to live with it! Don't give your child a name that they're going to have to spell for EVERYONE! Or even a "normal" name with an unusual spelling! It's frustrating seeing your name spelt wrong all the time! I have a different spelling in my surname and when people are writing down my name I spell it out for them but they STILL spell it wrong!
i like the first two , dont think ive ever met a guy though. i like the name james, must run it by dp see what he thinks.
maisedon Posts: 1394
I'm not one to try and please other people, but generally people really like the popular names, and turn up their noses at the less common ones. I love the name Pierce for a boy, its uncommon and not too far-out - but when I suggested it on RW, it didn't go down very well.... :o( It's hard to know what to do....
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
Our girls name is Mya or Maya (not sure of the spelling yet but its My-Ah) We both love it but when we tell anyone we don't get the reaction we expect. Our second name is Emma so I've resorted to telling people thats my girls name to save the look from them. My young neighbour is pregnant with twins a boy and girl and she told me her names are broklyn and suri :ooh I've an unusual enough name that wouldn't be popular in most parts of the country but I know at 5 others with the same name!
Ficidy Posts: 1753
It's just typical of life really - people don't like anything that's different. I thought people would love my engagement ring for example, but the amount of people who have turned their noses up at it is astonishing (it's not exactly like what they'd be used to seeing) and also as we're not getting married in a church, but outdoors instead I also get The Look. It's the same with names. I like names that aren't too common (I guess it comes from being a teacher and being sick of having 4 James' and 3 Daniels in the same class!) but I wouldn't like to give my child a name that was way out there either. If we do (fingers crossed) get pregnant, we won't be telling anyone our ideas for names until the baba is born. I'm not pregnant yet, but getting married next June and we're planning on TTC then so I hope ye don't mind me adding my twopence worth here. *)