Food Intolerence except not sure from what?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Skittlespink Posts: 406
Hi Girls, I couple of nights now I have been woken by really bad pain in my stomach. Its been happening irregularly over the last 2 - 3 months. Anyways decided it was better to have it checked out so went to the doc yesterday and she said I was having bowel spasms from something Im eating. She coudnt tell me what food it might have been though so have to start a food diary. Just wondering was there anyone else who had these "spasms" and what were you intolerent to? I have a feeling it might be pasta coz thats what I had for dinner the last time I had the pain but cant remember what I ate the previuos times.. Any advice would be appreciated! :wv :wv
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
The only way to establish if you have an intolerance to something is to cut it out completely. One thing at a time. Cut out all dairy for a week. ALL dairy, that means anything made with any dairy products too (yes, chocolate!) If you have no improvement, go back on the dairy and see if there's a reaction. If not, do the same with wheat, again that means every single food product which contains wheat, pasta, cake, cereal, bread, pizza, beer. TBH l know lots of people who say they're intolerant to this that and the other but they're not. So-called dairy intolerant people eat chocolate no bother, so called yeast intolerant people still drink beer. I'd go to a different doctor, the one you went to before doesn't sound too helpful. You could well have an infection of some sort which might need antibiotics to clear it.
thanks for the info Louis... yeah wasnt too happy with the doc myself,,..basically didnt give me any medication, just said it was something I ate and charged me 60 yo yos!! thanx for the advice
tilsun Posts: 4506
Not to argue with your doc, as not a medical person and don't know you at all. But it Sounds a little bit like Irritable Bowel Syndrome which I had years ago. Do you ever feel constipated? Try eating more fibre (fruit, veg, all Bran etc) and drinking a lot more water. As a previous poster said, figuring our what you're intolerant to is a very long process, but I guess it's worth it if you are in pain or ill-health
thanx tilsun...i dont have any other symptoms at all. Just this strange pain! Im going to do the food diary thing and see how that goes.. and also will increase my water intake !
KaldiBean Posts: 60
Hey i was just posting another thread about my food allergies. It is worth getting checked out; I think doctors are clueless when it comes to this. I went to a nutritinal therapist and followed her advice to get rid of really bad hayfever - no dairy/red meat/some fruit and veg (specific to me) and have not had a sneezing fit or sniffle in ages! I got that pain you described and we discovered it was from strawberries!!!
[quote="KaldiBean":18429naq]Hey i was just posting another thread about my food allergies. It is worth getting checked out; I think doctors are clueless when it comes to this. I went to a nutritinal therapist and followed her advice to get rid of really bad hayfever - no dairy/red meat/some fruit and veg (specific to me) and have not had a sneezing fit or sniffle in ages! I got that pain you described and we discovered it was from strawberries!!![/quote:18429naq] In fairness, KaldiBean, anyone can call themself a nutritional therapist. It's a home study course. I'd trust a doctor quicker. Over the past 25 years I've been told not to eat practically everything from quacks claiming they could cure psoriasis. None of them got it right. I also suffer from bad hayfever, needed steroid injections in the past to lessen it, and my hayfever also disappeared suddenly this summer. I think it had more to do with the sudden drop in pollen than any allergy to strawberries you might have.
KaldiBean Posts: 60
Hi Lois I was actually talking about the pain Skittlespink was describing; which I discovered was due to the strawberries, not my hayfever. As for the pollen been down, it makes no difference. i work outdoors all day, everyday and get hayfever ALL the time. As for believing the nutritional therapist, I don't understand why I should not believe what they say. I went to a GP recently, knowing the pain i was getting was from a kidney infection. She prescribed anti inflamatories for my back! I had to go back the next day to tell her to take a urine test and give me antibiotics for UTI. So, sometimes the 'conventional' methods are not the best. She gave me a script for 3 different medications which she thought 'should fix the problem' The nutritional therapist did not prescribe any drugs or try to sell me anything, as so many GP's do.
It's odd that you have hayfever symptoms all the time, all year round. Hayfever is triggered by the release of pollen, of which there is none from October to March. It actually sounds to me like you don't have hayfever at all but something else, maybe combined with sinusitis. I don't think all doctors are great either and some of them are very quick to hand over prescriptions when they're not always needed. I've taken three antibiotics in my entire life, so I'm no fan of pills. BUT I have also seen enough self-proclaimed experts on things to know a lot of it is total bunkum. I'm not saying the woman you saw is not to be believed but I'll be honest with you - she recommended a very strict diet. Has she any medical background to recommend that diet to anyone? She may not have tried to sell you anything but was it free to see her too? No red meat, no yeast, only some fruit and veg. That has not speeded up your metabolism, the fact that it's a strict list is what dropped weight. If you are watching every piece of food you put into your mouth, you will lose weight, no question. Where are you getting your protein from?