Football matches....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Lizzy1 Posts: 4128
Hi all, just wondering if any of you have been to see Arsenal play a match? Basically i'm hoping to book a match, flights and accomadation for DH birthday which is coming up next month. Which is the best airport to fly to? Can you recommend some places to stay near the stadium? Any advice is greatly received as i am trying to keep this as a surprise. :o)ll :o)ll
marquise Posts: 595
H2B hasn't stayed near the Emirates because we have relatives we can stay with but he has flown to Heathrow and Gatwick for matches and it is easy enough to get to the Emirates from both. From Heathrow, you can get the tube direct to Arsenal. From Gatwick, you can get the train into Victoria and then get on a tube to the Highbury/Islington stop. It's a little bit easier from Heathrow because you don't have to change but normally the flights are cheaper to Gatwick. Do you have an Arsenal membership?
Chococat Posts: 1632
The stadium is located in the North of London, app. 7.5 km from the city centre. [b:1hq98dx4]Metro (Tube):[/b:1hq98dx4] Arsenal Station (Picadilly Line), Finsbury Park (Victoria & Picadilly lines) or Highbury & Islington (Victoria Line, North London Line and Great Northern Line) [b:1hq98dx4] Nearest airports:[/b:1hq98dx4] Heathrow Airport (30 km) Stansted Airport (54 km) Luton Airport (47 km) Gatwick Airport (50 km) Here's a link to the best hotels to book near any stadium in the UK http://www.stadiumhotels.com/football/a ... EAodhWbKhg
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
You would be better off going into a travel agent and booking a package as unless you have a season ticket or contacts, it can be very difficult to get match tickets for the top clubs.
marquise Posts: 595
[quote="Missus Lippy":21wpn9fn]You would be better off going into a travel agent and booking a package as unless you have a season ticket or contacts, it can be very difficult to get match tickets for the top clubs.[/quote:21wpn9fn] Yea I was going to ask that. I ended up buying my H2B a membership because I found it impossible to buy tickets without having to go through an agency.
AnthonyHutton Posts: 2235
ive been to the emirates tbh it dosent really matter which of the airports you fly from or where you stay the only thing i would advise is to get to islington EARLY the tubes just fill up so they'll pass you by.. its manic in the subway on matchday so stay somewhere nice, that you might get a bit of shoppign in or whatver just go to the stadium for about 11 or something... and have a few pints in the gunner.. they just play the liverpool arsenal 89 season finale on tape the whole time!
Lizzy1 Posts: 4128
Thanks for all the advice. :thnk :thnk The only thing about booking a package is it's fairly expensive >:o)
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
There was another post on this a couple of weeks ago but for Man U tickets, the person went through an agency for the match ticket and booked flights and hotels herself but she felt there might be a security issue with her credit card details with the agency so she now has to hope the tickets turn up by post. Is there much of a difference between the package and booking it yourself? I would not try to get tickets independently anymore (Liverpool fan here) as it's almost impossible, instead we joined a supporters club who does trips twice a year. It's up to yourself :wv