For anyone who has been made redundant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ItsMrsBurkenow Posts: 665
Just wondering how is the job hunting going? I was given notice last week and just no luck so far. Have my CV with a load of recruitment agencies but alot are saying there is just nothing on at the mo. Just wondering if anyone else is the same. Feeling a bit stressed and down about it :o(
Hins Posts: 940
Hiya Burke2B Sorry to hear this, I was let ago about a month ago now and it sucks. Being honest I could easily sit here and say that you'll find something no bother, but I'd be insulting your intelligence by doing that. I've find it extremely hard, if not impossible to get work. I was looking for something P.A. and nada. Do not waste your sweet time with ANY agency being honest who say over the phone "Yeah come in and register we have one or two"....it's bulshit because they don't. I wasted days of my life that I'll never get back doing that :o0 Have you signed on yet? I did, and there's a 8-10 week wait they told me but you can get it sped up. I went down the after to the community welfare officer with A proof of address (i.e. a bill), passport, P45, bank statements for the last month and literally within 2 days they had my first payment for me. It's the HSE who temporarily gives you your payments then it's deducted from the dole as soon as it's processed automatically. It just means you dont have to hang about 10 weeks. In the meantime, Trowl Irishjobs.ie, Jobs.ie, Loadzajobs.ie. It's employer's directly now who are advertising and have the luxury of not needing agencies. They're incredibly slow getting back to you also but some do get back. Just keep your chin up about this because the current climate and the way it is is very much out of your control I know the feeling though :xxx
Thanks Hins- i'm looking for a pa / admin role too. Finishing up 27th March so hope to sign on them (or can you get the ball rolling before hand??) Have been going through the sites everyday- nothing! and i suppose companies don't want to be paying recruitment agencies now adays! Suppose i have to keep on it though. My company are providing support with an outplacement service so she is coming to meet with me tomorrow so fingers crossed she has some tips :eek Good luck to you though- its just a horrible time to be looking for a job and if i hear one more person giving out about work - they dont know how lucky they are to have a job!! O:|
[quote="burke2be":1b2dlvnz]Thanks Hins- i'm looking for a pa / admin role too. Finishing up 27th March so hope to sign on them (or can you get the ball rolling before hand??) Have been going through the sites everyday- nothing! and i suppose companies don't want to be paying recruitment agencies now adays! Suppose i have to keep on it though. My company are providing support with an outplacement service so she is coming to meet with me tomorrow so fingers crossed she has some tips :eek Good luck to you though- its just a horrible time to be looking for a job and if i hear one more person giving out about work - they dont know how lucky they are to have a job!! O:|[/quote:1b2dlvnz] I know, it pretty much sucks Burke2Be, it's not a pleasant feeling to say the least. Being honest? You can't really sign on before then, because they'll want your P45, or proof of termination of employment on a particular day. But do go down the day after you finish, that's what I did, if you don't you're losing out on payment you know. I really hate being the bearer of bad news and maybe I shouldn't be saying anything at all, but the length of time I was in that Dole office was 5 hours (11.25 to 4.30 exactly), so really the reason I'm saying that to you is to be there at 9am bang on, even before as you'll have people queuing outside. Once you get all of that out of the way then you're ok, but bring everything with you, so you don't have to go back. Bring 2 forms of official government ID i.e. passport or driver's license and the 2nd one being both of them as either one counts as the 2nd form (do you get me?), if you only have one, bring a bank atm card, it's written up that that's accepted. P45/Letter to testify to the fact of the date of terminating employment Proof of address i.e bill Et voila...if you go in at 9am, then you might only be waiting an hour, but trust me don't leave it later. It has gotten THAT bad, that they don't close for lunch anymore and are open straight through as the queues are too long. Then, after that when you leave, find out your local community welfare officer, mine was in Old County Road in Crumlin so depending on where you live so ring 1850 241 850 and they'll tell you your local one to go to, you have to go to the cachement area or they won't see you. Again bring the same things down and they'll sort it for you pretty much two/three days later. At least then all that's done and you can concentrate on putting your energy back into looking for work. I'm noticing also that they've dropped salaries in jobs advertised stating "Must have third level degree" lol!!! I mean it's a contradition in terms eh? If they want a candidate with a 3rd level degree they can show them the money FFS :o0 I hope something comes of that outplacing service for ya O-O
SHAR01 Posts: 36
Totally agree with Hins, recruitment agencies are crap. I'm registered with 6 of them now, since being made redundant in Feb. Now of them have done anything positive for me. For each one I registered with, they said they had a few roles that I would be suitable for. After registering with agency and listening to the bullshit they spin you about you being a great candidate for these jobs, you never hear from them again!!!! I wonder do these jobs they advertise really exist. I have never gotten any update on any of these positions that I was supposed to be put forward for. I recently registered with another agency this week for a position that had been advertised. I asked her what the company did......she didn't know!!! She said that she'd need to check it out for me. Can you believe that, these people are supposed to be representing these companies. I wonder are these companies aware of how poorly these agencies are acting on their behalf!!! I wish that we didn't have to deal with these agencies but unfortunately very few companies advertise independently. They are a necessary evil. Good luck everyone who has been made redundant but seriously don't but all of your eggs in one basket where these agencies are concerned because you'll be unemployed for a very long time!!!!!
Thanks a mil for that info- its a great help. Ha to make matters worse getting married in 6 months and tryin to save for that!! The joys of it all. Thanks again :thnk
[quote="SHAR01":13qovn4l]Totally agree with Hins, recruitment agencies are crap. I'm registered with 6 of them now, since being made redundant in Feb. Now of them have done anything positive for me. For each one I registered with, they said they had a few roles that I would be suitable for. After registering with agency and listening to the bullshit they spin you about you being a great candidate for these jobs, you never hear from them again!!!! I wonder do these jobs they advertise really exist. I have never gotten any update on any of these positions that I was supposed to be put forward for. I recently registered with another agency this week for a position that had been advertised. [b:13qovn4l]I asked her what the company did......she didn't know!!! She said that she'd need to check it out for me. Can you believe that, these people are supposed to be representing these companies. I wonder are these companies aware of how poorly these agencies are acting on their behalf!!![/b:13qovn4l] I wish that we didn't have to deal with these agencies but unfortunately very few companies advertise independently. They are a necessary evil. Good luck everyone who has been made redundant but seriously don't but all of your eggs in one basket where these agencies are concerned because you'll be unemployed for a very long time!!!!![/quote:13qovn4l] Hehe....sorry Shar, not laughing at you, just the way you said it, yeah I totally agree. Some of them would convince you that the sky is green if it meant getting a sale in. Grand, if they have the jobs there and are going to get me work I'll happily pretend they've convinced me it is in fact green but I've been spinned so much bulsh*t from them recently I was ready to go for the jugular so gave up ringing them!!! **Shakes fist...........why I oughta..................** >:o)
Cathy34 Posts: 1068
I've read in an other forum that you should look at jobs posted by employers directly as a lot of agencies just posting jobs to stock up on CV's and the jobs are actually not real Not sure how true that is though. Just thought I post this.
[quote="burke2be":1xxi41e9]Thanks a mil for that info- its a great help. Ha to make matters worse getting married in 6 months and tryin to save for that!! The joys of it all. Thanks again :thnk[/quote:1xxi41e9] You're welcome Burke, let us know how you're getting on with it If I get a job in HR or somethin' I'll hire ya ok and I expect the same back >:o)
[quote="Cathy34":1suwdgi6]I've read in an other forum that you should look at jobs posted by employers directly as a lot of agencies just posting jobs to stock up on CV's and the jobs are actually not real Not sure how true that is though. Just thought I post this.[/quote:1suwdgi6] That would just be mean >:o( its an employers market at the mo. Agencies are constantly ringing here asking is there any jobs etc. HR in here are getting that many CV's on spec we dont need to use agencies so i could well believe they'd be making up jobs grrrrrr >:o(