For those making own invites here are some tips!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

looey Posts: 624
I found a fab site for buying everything you need: http://www.handyhippo.co.uk/ DIY HINTS AND TIPS Gluing printed paper to card with border. It’s easier to do this by sight than by measuring it out. Plus, if you’re doing a lot of invitations, you’ll find it quicker to do it this way, and it’s just as accurate. If you’re using double-sided tape, you need to measure your card and border very accurately because it won’t allow for error. Glue sticks are a little more forgiving, enabling you to make minor adjustments. Best of all, though, is glue tape, which is very easy and hassle free. Which adhesive do I use? No adhesive is truly ‘invisible’, but some are more suited to different tasks than others. Here’s a brief list of the main types of material and what we find successful with them. (a) Transparent paper This is the least forgiving of papers and glue is the only option suitable. Try to use it sparingly. We recommend glue tape for this type of paper (b) Silk Paper Silk paper is a little more opaque and thus more forgiving. You can use double-sided tape with it. (c) General Paper This can be secured with either glue or tape. (d) Accessories (Leaves, flowers, bows) Some accessories are supplied with adhesive backing, however the majority require gluing. We recommend that you use a dab of a glue stick or glue dots to secure these to your paper or card. Applying Wax There are two ways to apply wax to your invitations. You can either use a sealing gun or the more traditional method. With the sealing gun, plug first into a mains socket and apply the wax directly to the chosen surface. In order to fully use a stick of wax, you will need to insert another, to push it down. The more traditional method is just as simple. Set up a candle at your workspace. You’ll use this to melt the wax and drip a few drops onto your invitation. Blow out the wax stick between each application. Using Wax Seals Wax seals are very straightforward to use. Press down firmly on melted wax and then remove and allow the impression to cool. It’s a good idea to have a saucer with cold water nearby, so that you can cool the seal from time to time. This will keep your wax impressions as precise as possible and extend the life of your seal. Which wax do I use? You use different wax depending on the application process. If you’re using the sealing gun, you’ll need wax gun sticks, which are narrow cylinders designed to fit in the gun. You’ll commonly get in the region of 10 wax impressions per stick. For the traditional wax method, you’ll need the standard wax stick, which is a little larger than the wax gun stick and has a wick that you use to melt it. We have found that people tend to get about 15 impressions per stick. Note: The amount of impressions per wax stick is a guideline based on in-house testing. Depending on the amount of wax you use in each impression, you may find that you get more or less than these amounts. Putting holes in the centre of a card We recommend that you punch all holes with a single hole-punch. This has two main advantages. It allows you more freedom in where you put the holes and as single hole-punches are smaller than a standard A4 hole-punch, the hole will be much more unobtrusive. The best way to put a hole in the centre of a card (for service booklets or menus) is to fold your card first and then punch two half-moons at the points where you intend to thread your ribbon. If you have many cards to punch, you can then use this card as a guide, saving you time. Threading ribbon Threading ribbon through holes in your invitation, menu or service booklet is easy. If you are having any problems pushing your ribbon through, grab a darning needle (or a needle with a very wide ‘eye’) and use that to thread the ribbon through the hole as if you were sewing. This will make your job much quicker. Cutting paper & card Cutting your paper to size is very easy, provided you have the right tools. The best and most accurate way of cutting paper is with the aid of a blade, a ruler and a cutting mat. Only cut one sheet at a time. It may seem like a timesaver to cut a number of sheets at once, but it can result in ragged edges and vastly increases the chance of error. Folding/scoring paper & card Folding paper by hand is relatively straightforward, but you may find that doing the same with card results in a messy fold that can undermine the rest of the work that you have put into your invitation. Scoring your card will avoid this problem. The easiest way to score card is with a bonefolder and scoring/folding board, if you do not have a folding board, then you can use a ruler. Use your ruler to mark where you want the scoring line to be. Then draw the pointed end of the bonefolder along the edge of your ruler to score. You may then use the flat side of the bonefolder to make an even fold. Printing and layouts There are many page layout programs available for when you want to print your own invitations. They each have their own quirks and methods, but many people will be using Microsoft Word. If you are one of those, don’t worry, it’s easy to create fabulous invites with it. The simplest way to write text for invitations in Word is to create a text box. Within a text box, you can centre all the text and you don’t have to worry about formatting, which will make it much easier if you plan on printing several invitations per page. You can copy and paste the whole text box if you need to have more than one on your page. We will be adding some Word templates to the site shortly to help you design and print your invitations. EMBELISHMENT HINTS AND TIPS FLOWERS When using small wire stem flowers on your cards, wrap the wire stem around a knitting needle then slide off and stretch out slightly for a curled effect. MULBURRY PAPER Mark out the desired piece of Mulburry paper you need by wet painting the lines using a small childrens paint brush and water. Then just gentely pull apart for a feathered edge effect. SCRAP CARD Keep all scraps of card regarless of size. They will always come in handy to use as backing for your handmade toppers. CRYSTALS AND DIAMANTES Put a small ball of blue tac on the tip of a coctail stick to enable you to pick up and position small crystals and diamantes. RUBBER STAMPS Use baby wipes to clean your rubber stamps when alternating between colours.
bangel Posts: 2285
I thought that website didn't deliver to Ireland? Could be (very) wrong though!
looey Posts: 624
Oh I didn't know that, I kinda just presumed it did, but in fairness, if you ring them up I am sure they will. I have ordered stuff by phone like that before!