Former BallyKealey bride

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

workingmom Posts: 3429
Hi everyone, well, we married last March and had our reception in Ballykealey, to be honest, without the service of Ted and his team and the exceptionally high standard of food, I don't think our day would have been so good, everyone, and I mean everyone was talking about the fantastic service and the food and how much of it there was. It is sad to hear that Ted is not running it any longer, and there are so many stories, the lease ran out, health reasons yada yada... BallyK got its reputation for weddings because of Ted and his team. However, I know Ted had his own hotel running before BallyK, and I'd say he will again. TBH, without the fantastic food and service, BallyK is really nothing special (and I say that as a former bride), but if there are 2 things people remember about a reception apart from the couple, it is the food and the entertainment.
newyear09wife Posts: 899
thanks for feedback mrs gk....though its sad to here you say that especially as you are a former bride.. but I genuinely feel that no one man can make or break a venue....Without Ted what is left??? well pleny of things actually... the house is still stunningly beautiful... the setting is still peaceful and romantic... the food is by all accounts even more oustanding than before... the staff are mostly still the same so whats changed??? nothing except for ted is no longer the one to greet you as you arrive... Im sure he is probably responsible for bringing Bally K to the standard that it is known for but a whole team of staff and management are not going to suddenly thrust aside all the good values they work by and with it the hard work they have done just because he's no longer there.... it is a pity to say that you feel your wedding day wouldnt have been as special without ted there but to be honest I cant see that it is that big a factor for too many of us future brides unless he was a big factor in the booking of the venue in the first place .. For us we booked BallyK because... we wanted somewhere a little different.... check we wanted somewhere rural....................check we wanted a high standard of food...........check we wanted nice photo oppertunities..........check, check and check. we wanted friendly staff and to feel important.. check .... and that was not just by ted but by absolutely every member of staff we met...so check again. i think it all boils down to what people prioritise as important when booking a venue.
workingmom Posts: 3429
I was just offering an honest opinion and my thoughts on the whole thing everyone is different.
rainyday Posts: 609
Thanks for your input Mrs GK. It's good to hear from someone who has "been there, done that"! Fingers crossed Ted's replacement will be able to keep things up to standard! Don't get me wrong, I like Ballykealey (obviously, I booked it for my wedding) and the fact that you have the whole place to yourselves. The drive up to it is lovely as is the setting. I liked the effort that was made for each reception and the food was lovely when we tried (hopefully, they won't change!). However, I agree with you, that there is nothing overtly that special about Ballykealey. I don't think that the toilet facilities are great and the bar looks dated.........though I do like the fact that you have that to yourself and that it'll stay open for as long as you're willing to stay!
Scrappy Doo Posts: 128
Thanks for your thoughts Mrs GK,as you said everyone has their own opinons and Ballykealey may not be for some people. Although Im sorry to hear that it was only the food and Ted that made the place special for your big day (if it was just those things why did u not choose somewhere else?)-i think there is so much more about Ballyk than just that. Ive heard that the new chief is just as good (am down there for dinner tomorrow night so will be able to have my own views on it then). Have never even met Ted so really dont mind whether he is there or not on my wedding day. Having siad that the comment about the toliets is bang on-they really arent great. Will defo be mentioning that when I see them >:o(
Thats my point too... I dont think i would book anywhere that was "nothing special" ... we booked it because it felt very special and we were made to feel very special also, and neither of those things had anything to do with ted though we did meet him and thought him a lovely man. But each to there own. Now for the Toilets... I mentioned said toilets to Mandy and was told that there was talk of refurbishement...... and she hoped that they might be completed by my wedding.. 09 ... but I dont know how definite that was. I just thought that they were a little poky .. i think thats the word but while we visited they were pefectly clean and fresh and I even sent H2b on a scout in the gents to see if they were passable and he said they were fine .. Im hoping with all my heart that they keep the "exclusivity " of Ballykealey a factor as it was what made us choose it over kinnity.
I agree....that while I said the toilet facilities weren't great.....they were very clean and fresh! (Definitely wouldn't book somewhere that had dirty toilets!) Never heard anything about a refurbishment....though we are getting married over a year before you, so maybe they were long term plans! About the "exclusivity" - I'd definitely say that they'll be keeping that! I can't imagine how they won't with only 12 rooms in the hotel.
Well H2B and I are heading down there on sunday with BM and his wife and BM and her fella so am going to pin them down on these details,, we have yet to pay our deposit (pending price revisions) so want to get that finalised too.... will ask about facilities and get back to ye on it!!
Hope your visit goes well :) That'd be great if you could let us know how it goes as we won't get a chance to visit Ballykealey again before the wedding!