Forum for Rip off Stores in Ireland and Action

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mariac Posts: 982
Hi Getting really annoyed with major UK stores ripping off their Irish customers - was wondering if we all start at least emailing them to complain. When you take the new UK Vat rates and conversion rates into consideration you can expect that when you purchase a product for approx €50 you are still paying €9 more that the Uk customer. Some might argue that we should shop somewhere else, but the majority of major stores are Uk based, which then leaves us with little choice On my hitlist so far River Island Next Have emailed both. Waiting on responses - will post replies here if anyone is interested. The idea of this topic is to alert other wollies, so they can also email complaints. Wollies who are members in other internet chatrooms maybe set up similiar topics - this will create awareness and with some hope these companies will soon receive constant emails from Ireland questioning their pricing. Any ideas?
RainbowBright Posts: 1425
Debenhams are the same, Dorothy Perkins, Marks & Sparks (to a certain degree). Debenhams when they have a sale (20% off) are only giving you the price that you would pay in NI or UK (at full price). They need to be seriously reducing their prices.
whackywoman Posts: 1496
wallis mothercare early learning centre does anyone have a generic email that they have sent out re prices and who do you normally address it to. Maybe it might be a good idea to include email addresses for the stores that are ripping us off so we can annoy them with emails. What sort of things are people saying? I will email above stores later on today if I get a free minute with DD. WW
lovindis Posts: 642
TOPSHOP-Rrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh O:| O:| O:| €80 for skinny jeans and £55 UK price. come on now. Needless to say i took a stroll to Pennies!!
lil kim Posts: 436
Monsoon New Look
trance Posts: 3129
ooh Monsoon shocking I was in there yesterday, lovely top for 55 sterling in euro it was 85, just out of principle I wouldn't buy it. Was in UK last weekend and treated myself to a Jo Malone candle (it was my birthday!) £38, just out of interest when I got here I phoned BT in Dublin (I'm in Galway and they don't have a Jo counter), the same candle was 61.50 euro :eek I said to the girl on the phone I had just been in UK and it was only 38 quid but she just sort of laughed, ie she couldn't give a toss (in fairness it wasn't her fault about the price so why should she), the 30ml spray that was £30 was 49 euro, sorry that is a bloody flippin DISGRACE >:o(
cremebrulee Posts: 8546
hate the way monsoon (the one i go into anyway) scribbles out the euro price on the tag and then puts an even higher price over it!
Smurfette Posts: 522
Monsoon are very bad. Saw a lovely top in there last week for £25 and it was 49 Euro. I just walked out of the store after I saw that. Good idea about emailing the stores. I am sure they have heard lots of complaints already, but I think we just need to keep at them. I was in the Principles section at my local Debenhams and I noticed that they had torn off the sterling price on all the tags on the clothes. They were obviously sick of people giving out about the price, coz they didn't always do this. If anyone is not able to travel north of the border, like I am, why not just try on the clothes in the stores here and then buy online from their UK sites? Here are ones I used: Delivery to Ireland is either £4 or £5...depending on the site. I bought a load of stuff from at the weekend. I bought a chiffon party dress, 2 jumpers and a top for 70 Euro (including delivery). Last night, the same site had a sale where everything was 20% off. I bought a winter coat and some gloves for 80 Euro. Also, when you buy off Dorothy Perkins online, they give you a code to get free delivery on your next order with them. I still want to complain to these stores though....as I do enjoy shopping and don't want to be buying online all the time. They really need to lower their prices here.
glowgal Posts: 949
[quote="trance":2ky1mvrk]ooh Monsoon shocking I was in there yesterday, lovely top for 55 sterling in euro it was 85, just out of principle I wouldn't buy it. Was in UK last weekend and treated myself to a Jo Malone candle (it was my birthday!) £38, just out of interest when I got here I phoned BT in Dublin (I'm in Galway and they don't have a Jo counter), the same candle was 61.50 euro :eek I said to the girl on the phone I had just been in UK and it was only 38 quid but she just sort of laughed, ie she couldn't give a toss (in fairness it wasn't her fault about the price so why should she), the 30ml spray that was £30 was 49 euro, sorry that is a bloody flippin DISGRACE >:o([/quote:2ky1mvrk] This is such a disgrace, for the top you said it was 55 sterling and they are charging 85, it is only about 63 euro with the current exchange rates so they are overcharging us by about 20 euro. How can they be let away with it. People really have to start boycotting these stores, I know its difficult as so many are uk stores but unless their sales decrease they won't change much.
trance Posts: 3129
Good idea about shopping online Smurfette, but you're right we shouldn't have to, plus I hate using my credit card since they mostly don't accept Laser, I would have bought off Jo Malone website but they don't deliver to Ireland O:|