Freezer cooking/meals for postpartum period

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Aqua Posts: 198
Hi girls, I am near my due date and have decided to spend a day cooking up a number of meals for the freezer. I attach links to helpful websites for anyone interested in doing the same. There is a movement in the US called Once a Month Cooking (OMAC). Here is just one link to many websites which cover the area. Check out the step-by-step guide for tips. e.g. put sauces in freezer bags not tupperware boxes etc. Below are two links, one on FAQs on OAMC and the other a few recipes. If anyone has any good recipes for food that will freeze well, please post them, I am sure there will be many expectant mammies who will be grateful. The best recipes are ones where you don't cook the food before you freeze them, e.g. put a prepared lasagne in the freezer before you cook it, then when you thaw it, it will cook as if you have just made it. Take care and good luck with the nesting xx A
leanbh1 Posts: 473
Thats a brill post aqua-thanks a mill!!I'll be cookin up a storm when on mat leave in dec! :wv
fabcards Posts: 541
excellent 9 weeks to go so must start stocking up the freezer...i know i usually make a big lasagne and freeze whats left over ...at least now there will be soemthing else in the freezer other than lasagne oh and curry!
fantac Posts: 4109
i did a LOT of cooking before DD arrived - curries, chillis, bolognese by teh boatful, lasagnes and also i marinaded a lot of meat, so it just had to be defrosted and stir fried with a pepper, an onion and throw in some 2 minute noodles. we are still eating these dinners and i've just done a LOAD more for when i go back to work in a few weeks. whenever anyone asks what was the best thing i did to prepare for bubs, thats what i tell them - i have only cooked a handful of weekday meals in the last 5 months, yet we've eaten proper dinner every night, it was so worth teh effort.
Always hoping Posts: 784
Totally agree with snugglemuffin. My ds is now 9 weeks and my freezer supply has run dry. It was fantastic while it lasted. I had mainly lasagnes and shepards pie. It was like a night off twice a week from cooking without reaching for a take-away. I couldn't have kept up the cooking when ds first came home (especially as I broke my arm when he was 2 weeks old). I'm going to get organised again and do another batch. I just have to wait till my freezer empties a bit! :wv
Always hoping Posts: 784
Totally agree with snugglemuffin. My ds is now 9 weeks and my freezer supply has run dry. It was fantastic while it lasted. I had mainly lasagnes and shepards pie. It was like a night off twice a week from cooking without reaching for a take-away. I couldn't have kept up the cooking when ds first came home (especially as I broke my arm when he was 2 weeks old). I'm going to get organised again and do another batch. I just have to wait till my freezer empties a bit! :wv
Great to hear more advice. I spent the whole morning cooking in the kitchen. I am knackered but I think I have managed about 12-14 meals for 2 (some dishes will cover 2 meals). It does take a bit of prep and I didn't do it all in one day. I did the shopping on Saturday, the prepping Sunday (chopped veg etc) and then the cooking today. None of them took the whole day so don't think it will take you forever. Best of luck A
silíní Posts: 4219
This is a fab idea. i was induced suddenly three weeks early due to pre-eclampsia, so i never got a chance to do it! But some family members made stuff for our freezer and it was brilliant. Even still DH makes a bumper lasagne or shepherds pie at the weekends and we put portions in the freezer as four months on i still can't get to the cooker!!!!!! :-8
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
How long can you freeze these things for? Mince meals (lasagne / shepherds pie / chilli / bolognese ) and chicken meals (curries, stir fries etc)?
[quote="Grunge Bride":16peixid]How long can you freeze these things for? Mince meals (lasagne / shepherds pie / chilli / bolognese ) and chicken meals (curries, stir fries etc)?[/quote:16peixid] This is the guide I used: This is the link if you want more info. Note: Freezer storage is for quality only. Frozen foods remain safe indefinitely. [b:16peixid]Item Months [/b:16peixid] Bacon and Sausage 1 to 2 Casseroles 2 to 3 Egg whites or egg substitutes 12 Frozen Dinners and Entrees 3 to 4 Gravy, meat or poultry 2 to 3 Ham, Hotdogs and Lunchmeats 1 to 2 Meat, uncooked roasts 4 to 12 Meat, uncooked steaks or chops 4 to 12 Meat, uncooked ground 3 to 4 Meat, cooked 2 to 3 Poultry, uncooked whole 12 Poultry, uncooked parts 9 Poultry, uncooked giblets 3 to 4 Poultry, cooked 4 Soups and Stews 2 to 3 Wild game, uncooked 8 to 12