Friday Five

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
Ok, so was thinking every Friday we could do a list? Just for a bit of craic? What do you think? Every week could be something different, like songs/TV shows/countries/actors etc... Anyway we'll see how this weeks suggestion goes. [u:v6cebkcw][b:v6cebkcw]Books[/b:v6cebkcw][/u:v6cebkcw] 1. Jane Eyre. Have loved it from I was a child when I had to get reading it after being entranced by an old black and white film of it I watched on TV 2. Memoirs of a Geisha. I just loved this book from start to finish, the imagery, narration, setting - just everything. Has instilled a love of Japan in me. 3. The Magic Finger. Hard to choose just one Roald Dahl, but this left the biggest impression on me. 4. Gone with the Wind. The only thing I love more than this book is the film. 5. Harry Potter Series. Ok, ok, it's a series but you can't make me choose only one of them? Please! This series has left me believing in magic and feeling very disappointed I'm a muggle. I know there are enchantments everywhere. You haven't fooled me! So what are your Five Favourite Fings For Friday* [size=85:v6cebkcw]*alliteration rocks[/size:v6cebkcw]
Vintage Darling Posts: 430
Im in - I love books!!! 1). Can I pick a series as well? - Anything by Terry Pratchett - I know most of his books off by heart at this stage & the copies I have open at my favourite bits by themselves 2). Memoirs of a Geisha - Agree with everything you said. It was a book that started a bit of a love affair with all thing Japanese. 3). Boy - Roald Dahl - I love the way he describes his live. 4). Everything I've ever done that worked - Lesley Garner - This is a bit of a self-help book but it's full of common sense things to do when you feel the panic start to rise up. 5). The Lollipop Shoes - Joanne Harris - It's the sequel to Chocolat (which I've never read strangely enough) - It just sucks me in very time. I love the story behind it
Ellefun Posts: 1312
We need to talk about Kevin (Lionel Shriver) - Bleak and there isn't really any one person to root for. It's an anti-hero kind of book but I really got into it and couldn't put it down. The Betrayal (Helen Dunmore) - I thought it was so vivid and I genuinely empathised with the characters. Again I read it really quickly because I didn't want to put it down. The Diary of Anne Frank - Everyone should read it. Molokai (Alan Brennert) - It reads like true life but is fiction (loosely based on real events). It's such a touching story and I forgot I was reading fiction and became quite attached to the main character and the plight of her companions. The Hobbit (JRR Tolkien) - I read it as a child and I'd read it again. It transports to another world; plus the copy I had was brilliantly illustrated. Freakin' awesome!
Meggi Posts: 383
Little Women - Louise May Alcott. Read it first when I was about 10 and have re-read it so many times over the year. Liked the rest of the series too. Another huge Terry Pratchett fan here - have read all of his. The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul - Douglas Adams. Again all his books were brilliant, The HitchHikers was fab but Teatime is my favourite. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte. It's one of those that just sticks with you for a long time after you've finished it.(I guess that'd be why its a classic!) The imagery is so vivid and the messed up jealous madness appealed to my teenage soul. Sister - Rosemary Lupton. It's just a great read and I like her style of writing. Didn't think too much of her second book but really enjoyed Sister.
Nostress Posts: 1606
The Damage Done - horrific but a great read. Not the best written book but based on real life events in a Thai prison Watership down - childish I know but I still cry thinking about it :-8 Anything by Patricia Cornwell - just a good easy to read selection The light in the window - again very sad, midwife in an unmarried mother home in the 50s Inside the gas chambers - story of survival in Auschwitz God I really am a bit morbid :-8
Dollydel Posts: 1726
1- Run Fat Bitch Run- For motivation 2- Something from Tiffany's Melissa Hill- I am a sucker for chick lit and a happy ending. It was the book I read last year on holidays when we got engaged and its about an engagement. 3- Solo Jill Mansell - Only because its what I am reading at the moment. 4- Twilight Saga- Reliving my teenage years. 5- Nineteen Minutes Jodi Picoult- It was the first Jodi Picoult book I read, started my obsession with her books.
PussyGalore Posts: 3388
Great idea Bazinga! 1. Fifty Shades of Grey - I just started reading it yesterday and I'm already hooked! 2. The Great Gatsby - read it years ago, loved it 3. Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, it's written as the prequel to Jane Eyre, it's about the mad woman in the attic and how she ended up as she did 4. The Uncommon Reader - Alan Bennett, a really short, witty book 5. I don't know how she does it - read this last year on hols, nice easy reading without being too chick-lit-y
Doozer28 Posts: 881
1. Harry Pottor Series! I'm the exact same as you on this Bazinga. 2. The Green Mile - Stephen King - love the book & the film but could not put the book down. 3. My sisters keeper - Jodie Piccoult -I love my weepie ones! 4. Twenties girl - Sophie Kinsela - I was given this book by my dh when I was in hospital & it was a god send I think that's why it stick out. 5. Angels & Demons - Dan Brown - Better than the DiVinci Code I thought, the film wasn't so good though I was disappointed with it. As you can see I tend to like my light hearted/easy to read books. I love reading though, might treat myself to a new book over the weekend, haven't read in months!
Little Miss Hopeful Posts: 1193
I basing my favourites on the ones i think about most during day to day life and they ones that i have reread; 1.It - Stephen King . A Childhood favourite (I was a weird child) 2. All of Karin Slaughters books. If anyone likes good fiction/thrillers with a twist with fantastic character description her stuff is must read! 3.Shawshank Redemption Stephen King 4. Guilt by Association - Susan R. Sloan 6. Hard Times - Charles Dickens (I have met so many Bounderbys in my time!)
tassajara Posts: 723
1) Brandon Sanderson Mistborn Series- one of the best-written and well thought out fantasy series I've ever read. 2) Bill Byrson's A Short History of Nearly Everything- how we came to be and the sciences of evolution, geology and physics explained for the non-scientist. 3) Emma Donoghue's Room- I read this book in one sitting, fascinated by the way the little boy looked at the world. 4) Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin- stories with stories and such a fascinating main character. 5) John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath- I cried reading this, and I am not a crier by any means.