Friday Five

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
This week its albums. Name 5 albums that made an impact on your life/opened your eyes to new types of music/just favourite albums. 1. The Eagles - The Very Best of the Eagles. I listened to this album every night going to sleep for years, I could sing it now word for word. Love it. One of my favourite ever bands. Take it to the Limit probably tops the list of favourite song on it. 2. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free. This just summed up 2 years of my life. It opened up my eyes and Mike Skinner seemed to be singing my feelings. My CD is scratched and unplayable but because I've reminded myself of it I'll download it and listen to it from start to finish tonight. 3. Blink 182 - Enema of the State. Who knew an album that is only little over half an hour long could be so immense? 4. Alannis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill When I was hitting puberty and was all agnsty and dramatic, I found this album. I wanted to be Alanis, snarling into the mic to You Oughta Know. Alas, the only thing we had in common was long brown hair. 5. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP Que even more angst...and worry for my mother as I listened to Kim on repeat, for hours. So you know the score by now, I'm waiting.
Reston Posts: 1321
1. Nirvana - Nevermind 2. Metallica - Black Album 3. Barry White - Greatest hits 4. ABBA - Greatest hits 5. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
mamasarus Posts: 831
When i think of my top 5 they are all from my teenage years :-) Happy times ! 1. BAD - Michael Jackson, this is the first album i ever owned. Proper record. My brother bought it for me for my 10th birthday. Still have it. Had lots of diff singles but this was my first album ! 2. Whats the story morning glory - Oasis, (think thats the name, the one with Wonderall, champange supernova, some might say etc on) just love that album from start to finish. 3. Apetite for destruction - Guns n roses, have it on tape and listened to it over and over again on my walkman. Brilliant album 4. Deacon Blues album :-8 Was my sisters and just to sneak off and listen to it, felt v grown up ! 5. The cranberry's "No need to argue" - not really proud of this one but when this came out i remember the day and i got the bus into town and bought it. Had to have it. Loved them at the time ! There are loads more albums i love now. Especially love old U2 albums. But these 5 really are ones that made some type of impact on me growing up.
ructions Posts: 2689
1. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses 2. Depeche Mode - Violator 3. Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever 4. Madonna - Ray of Light 5. Leftfield - Leftism
tassajara Posts: 723
1) Appetite for Destruction- Guns N' Roses This really opened my eyes up to proper music, not the usual pop crap I listened to as a teenager. 2) The Forgotten Arm- Aimee Mann This album was released when I was doing my Leaving Cert, listening to it makes me think of the summer before going to college and moving out. 3) Tales of Silversleeve- Cathy Davey Decent Irish indie music 4) White Lies- Mick Flannery 5) The Animal Years- Josh Ritter
dilin o damhsa Posts: 776
I have terribly uncool taste in music! 1) Dory Previn- Live at Carnigie Hall She was a 1970's folky femistist type singer/songwriter. My mum and I used to sing along to her songs in the car when I was a kid. One of her songs is called "beware young girls" and is about a teenage Mia Farrow stealing her husband. Very liberal stuff that probably wasn't suitable for a kid but i loved it. 2) ABBA - Supertrouper & Gold When I was a teenager every one listened to ABBA Gold but I was a real fan because I had another one of their albums and knew other songs :o0 Dancing Queen was my song for the longest time. DH even admitted recently that the music is pretty good. 3) Kris Kristofferson - The Essential Kris Kristofferson Again music that I grew up with. My mum is a big fan and he looked a little like my dad so I was hooked from an early age. I bought this album when I was in my 20's and living alone and I used to go to sleep listening to it. I love the mix of melancholy and hope with a bit of rebelliousness. 4) Jim Croce - Photographs and Memories Another oldie but a college friend got me hooked on him. The earthy feel and mix of melancholy (again) and more upbeat stuff saw me through the major breakups of my 20's and is still incredibly evocative of a time when I was very lost. 5) REM - Automatic for the People I had my first slow dance to Everybody Hurts. The album always reminds me of the long teenage summers.
hestia Posts: 2368
A Walk Across The Rooftops - The Blue Nile The title track came hurtling through an old fashioned one-piece earphone attached to my Da's wee "transistor" radio I used to sneak to bed for Mark Cagney's Nightrain. Showing me vintage there. The radio was later confiscated by my Irish teacher when she discovered I was using it as a life support machine in her class. Was just stepping into my teens and devouring all the music I could get me ears on. Cut to our school tour months later...Golden Discs on Middle Abbey St. (RIP). A Cure album in one paw, The Blue Nile in the other, just enough dabs for one. Plonked the former back on the shelf and a lifetime's soundtrack was born. Paul Buchanan was designed by nervous angels with a caffeine habit and a fondness for getting their harps out in the dead of night. Hatful of Hollow - The Smiths 1985 Electricity has recently arrived in Donegal. Wow. Motor cars, battery powered sheep, and now electric carving knives men can buy as legitimate presents for their wives. People are euphoric, wild with excitement. Meanwhile, in my brother's bedroom I delicately place a two-pence coin on the record player needle to help its journey over that scratch in the middle of the first line after Johnny Marr's clinker of a geetar lead in. "Punc...tured-punc...tured-punc...tured". Rarely works. Always needs slight pressure from the index finger to get it past check-in. Too much pressure and it's f*cked. "Punc-tured (holds breath).. bicycle on a hillside desolate". And we're off (checks naff hairdo in mirror) The Lion & the Cobra - Sinead O'Connor I remember it, Dublin in a rainstorm. Sitting in the long grass in summer, thinking we were cool freezing our balls off. We were so young then I thought that everything we could possibly do was right. I know different now. Closing Time - Tom Waits London by night. A room in a house in a street in a city where the neons stay lit longer than the dreams of some dreamers washed up there. The regrouping is complete; time to return and find the one willing to waltz around to Little Trip to Heaven. Any old kitchen'll do. Boxer - The National I think you'll like this, she says, handing over a copy to him, correct ink pen used to delicately write the track-list. One misfit chaperoned two others home through an album of sonic anxiety played out of four speakers crisscrossing the country in opposite directions. Was it the second meeting or third? The album sounds like 1:30am behind the wheel on the open road, getting blinded by the headlights of your on-coming thoughts and the realisation of what could be. For once, it came to pass. They share a tiny kitchen with enough space for bad dancing.
vulgarpicture Posts: 571
The Beatles - Revolver The Smiths – Strangeways, here we come, most would say not the best album but one of the first I listened to on repeat for months and opened a whole new world of music to me. Im still in love with Morrissey! The Jam – The Gift The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds Maybe I just like things with THE in the title and this list will probably change tomorrow!
Rogue User Posts: 6101
Ooooh I love these Bazinga! 1. Bad, Michael Jackson - we listened to this as kids. We loved the moonwalk and used to go around grabbing our crotches and shouted "Hi hee!", as was the style at the time. My Dad got it off his mate on tape cassette and gave it to us and we just listened to it every single day on repeat. Some of the songs on it are so slushy and corny, you can see where "Heal The World" came from, ugh! But overall I still think it's a great album with some awesome songs; Bad, Speed Demon, Smooth Criminal and Leave me Alone to name but a few. 2. Is This It - The Strokes - It;s the first album I bought for myself. Funnily enough I was going to buy Jacko's latest offering at the time "Invincible" but I just grabbed "Is This It" instead cos I liked the cover. I didn't know anything about the band. But when I got home, man, I played that from start to finish and instantly loved every track. Amazing. 3. The Writing's on the Wall - Destiny's Child. This was my getting ready to go out album. It never failed to get my mate Geri and me in the mood for a night on the tiles. I still love it, "Bills Bills Bills" "Jumpin' Jumpin'" - (those girls loved a bit of repetition for some reason?) "Say my Name" , ah i could go on. Every track is a floor filler. Love it. 4. Abbey Road - The Beatles - Possibly the best album ever? I love "I want you so Bad" walked up the aisle to it. An absolute cracker of an album, I could listen to it every day on repeat for the rest of my life and not get bored of it. 5. Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars - David Bowie. Actually scratch that above statement - THIS is the best album ever. The man's a genius. Shouts out to "Whatever You Say I am That's What I'm Not" By Artic Monkeys and "COwboys and RObbers" by COld War KIds. LOve those albums. I can't pick five. now I've got them down I want to pick loads more...
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
7 of the above mentioned albums were close contenders for my 5. I'm glad I didn't have them now as we have a nice broad list. You have also reminded me of some I need to get. Sure, isn't music grand altogether?