fundal height

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

minchkin1 Posts: 96
Hi girls, Just wondering if anyone can put my mind at ease. I was with the practice nurse this morning and when she measured the fundal height she said it measured 24 weeks not the 28+ I am. Sent me into a complete tail spin by sending me into H.S. for a scan. The doc there agreed and so was sent to the fetal assessment unit. Waited for a couple of hours to be seen as the place was jammed. The sonographer reckoned the measurements on the scan were accurate for my dates and said that babs was the "correct size for gestational age." She also said that being tall (5 ft 8) so not huge, and having a long torso could account for discrepancy. She seemed happy enough that babs was fine. Still not able to relax, I made the fatal mistake of googling it and am now a nervous wreck. Has anyone had a similar experience. Thanks, Minchkin1
mama2E Posts: 670
couldn't read and not reply. Around the same stage as you after a scan I was told that the baby was "small" and that there was a problem with the blood flow to baby. Since then the baby has been slightly smaller for its dates but gaining weight steadily. In the last week alone the baby has almost put on a pound - so what I'm trying to say is to take care of your self, DO NOT GOOGLE, and please remember that everybaby is different and has different growth patterns!!!!! Remember that scans and measurements are never 100% accurate! Please try not to worry - but I know exactly how your feeling. Positive thoughts! :thnk
minchkin1 Posts: 96
Thank you so much for your reply. :thnk . Have myself in a total knot, but off to bed after a lovely bath. Delighted to hear that your little one is putting on weight. Nerve-racking isn't it?...and as for google! :-8 Thanks again and sending positive thoughts your way. Minchkin1xxxx
Faireez Posts: 973
Do not google anything. Yes it's true that you want your fundal height in inches to equal your dayr. But once you went to the fetal assessment unit and they said all the measurements are fine then they are. Things like the way that the baby is lying can affect fundal height, as can the amount of fluid, and your size. With sonographer would have taken a good few measurements to make sure that they all fit into the average. HTH Chillax and try not to panic.
Mrs J Posts: 387
Same thing happened to me when I was around 30 weeks. Gp sent me to hospital for a scan as she had me at same size as I had been at the appointment 2 weeks earlier. Had the scan at hospital and everything was fine - both GP and hospital did say that the examination by doc is not always accurate and can change with the way baby is lying and also with the shape of the mother (I'm 5'7 and they seemed to think that might affect GP's measurments...anyway DD born fine and healthy at 39 weeks - 6lbs15! Try not to worry and enjoy the next few weeks! Good luck.
Mrs J Posts: 387
Same thing happened to me when I was around 30 weeks. Gp sent me to hospital for a scan as she had me at same size as I had been at the appointment 2 weeks earlier. Had the scan at hospital and everything was fine - both GP and hospital did say that the examination by doc is not always accurate and can change with the way baby is lying and also with the shape of the mother (I'm 5'7 and they seemed to think that might affect GP's measurments...anyway DD born fine and healthy at 39 weeks - 6lbs15! Try not to worry and enjoy the next few weeks! Good luck.