Funny accents people put on (but think they sound great!)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

buddylove Posts: 3288
I heard a woman on the radio yesterday morning and Oh sweet jesus she sounded awful! It was on a cork radio station but I actually had to turn over half way though because I was cringing. She was putting on this really weird voice, I thinkk she thought it was posh or something! It got me thinking to the accents people talk with that is so obviously not theirs. The Irish (who the closest they ever got to the states was watching Friends) with the American accent always crack me up. I met a guy once who spoke with a Cork/ cockney accent. I asked him was he living in London for a while and he replied. No I was just there for a weekend a month ago. Awright mate! FFS! :o0 And the people with the annoying Celtic tiger , posh voice! Am I alone in hearing these crazy accents in our lovely isle!
Mrs W Posts: 2923
My SIL is from the country, she went to college in dublin and now teaches there, she pathetically tries to sound posher than any D4 i know but then she forgets herself and sounds stupid. Never met anyone so up themselves for no reason whatsover in my life. Is it obvious I dont like her??
Mari yay Posts: 4045
The Dublin Housewives.... :o0
Doozer28 Posts: 881
My father is funny when he rings a chinese or is speaking to someone who doesn't seem to be from Ireland, he puts on a really slow posh accent as he's afraid they won't understand him!! It can be irritating for those of us that know him O:| but I don't even think he realises he's doing it. I'm skitting now, I can hear him doing it.
[quote="Doozer28":1mf3ntsk]My father is funny when he rings a chinese or is speaking to someone who doesn't seem to be from Ireland, he puts on a really slow posh accent as he's afraid they won't understand him!! It can be irritating for those of us that know him O:| but I don't even think he realises he's doing it. I'm skitting now, I can hear him doing it.[/quote:1mf3ntsk] I know someone who does that too!! Very annoying but I don't think they mean it either! I laughed reading that because I could hear it in my head as well!
Mrs W Posts: 2923
[quote="Doozer28":1i6udsin]My father is funny when he rings a chinese or is speaking to someone who doesn't seem to be from Ireland, he puts on a really slow posh accent as he's afraid they won't understand him!! It can be irritating for those of us that know him O:| but I don't even think he realises he's doing it. I'm skitting now, I can hear him doing it.[/quote:1i6udsin] My dad roars down the phone at foreigners, you'd swear they were deaf not foreign. and then he gets frustrated with himself and it gets even funnier
Ellefun Posts: 1312
Rachel Allen obviously! Such an affected makey uppy accent. Cringe The bit I watched of Dublin Housewives. One woman in particular sounded like she had marbles in her gob. The teens in town sounding like a mix of D4 and the cast of the OC (remember that?!) and I'm not even living in Dublin so the D4 element is very sad also.
Oh Rachael Allen is painful!!!!!! SO made up!!! Also that one Vogue Williams (think thats her name!). Annoying
Doozer28 Posts: 881
Rachel Allens!! Completely forgot about her which is strange considering I always give out about it every time I hear it!!
ninja next Posts: 1548
All of the above, in particular Racheal Allen - dear god! But i KILL my husband when he does this awful northern ireland accent and he thinks he's great!