galfer tablets

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

zoe f Posts: 104
anyone using these tablets for iron ! are they safe to use
theoracle Posts: 7664
Yeah they are safe but use them only on GP say-so, they are quite strong and you wouldn't need them unless you are low on iron.
zoe f Posts: 104
was told by hospital i could use them as iron is low! have you used them and do they work
theoracle Posts: 7664
I used them on PG2, and yes they are fine, but I do have to warn you that they are likely to give you constipation and your poo will turn black - so don't be alarmed! I know it is a bit TMI, but better be warned. If hospital said your iron is low and to take galfer that is fine. If you find they do not agree with you (some girls wrote on here before they had to switch) there is a different iron product that you could use - can't remember the name just now, ask the pharmacist and they will be able to advise you.
islandfun Posts: 3054
They're fine. Take them with OJ to help absorption.
wifetobe Posts: 1438
they made me so constipated I got piles :-8 Oweeeeeeeeeee. Never taking full on iron again. I'm taking pregnacare every couple of days. Will be taking it every day from now on though to build myself up for after the birth and all the goodness little miss will take with her!! x
newone Posts: 1714
neeov Posts: 4256
I've been taking them since about 16 week on advice of doctor. They are fine, no constipation or piles, but I eat lots of raw fruit to prevent this!! My iron levels are holding up ok because of these tablets, otherwise I think I'd be low on iron.
mischa09 Posts: 1068
I had low iron levels so i started taking them last week on doctors advise. They are fine. My poo is black but i'm not consipated. I take them with my evening meal. If you drink orange juice or coffee in the morning it should help.
Toni Baloney Posts: 544
I tend to be low in iron and have tried lots of different sources over the years. I found Galfer very harsh on my stomach, also caused constipation and the rest. At the moment I'm taking Spatone with fresh orange juice about an hour after my lunch every day and its a lot more gentle. Am also making conscious effort to eat more iron rich foods. Have gotten my iron levels checked aagain recently and they are fine. Hope this helps.