Galway private v's public - need to make decision by monday!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
Hi girls - I urgently need your help. Just back from doc and got everything confirmed but need to have decision made for Monday on public v's private here in Galway. Can anyone help me decide???? This is our first baby
workingmom Posts: 3429
I'm not in Galway, but I am also struggling with this decision. I am in Kilkenny, and it's my first baby too, I think, well, I have had gynae problems before, so maybe I should go private. I am a bit of a chicken, so would I be better to go private, I don't stand up for myself, but if I am paying will I get treated any better than going public? then I also worry, as if I go public, hospital policy is that you are stuck public, you cannot change. Then, another part of me feels that I am young, fairly healthy and if it's a normal pregnancy, I'd be fine on public, and yet another part of me feels that I can afford to go private, so why should I avail of public, it's not fair.......ah, I am so confused...........
Oh welcome to my world! I was with doc this morning and here is what she told me. Cost of private is 3000 euro. All you get is one more scan and the consultant at your appointments -also there at the birth. You still have to queue for appointments either way and if something went wrong at the birth then a consultant would have to be called anyway. I just don’t know what to do. 3K is a lot of money and if you want extra scans you can still get them yourself and pay about 180 euro
flah Posts: 6
I'm public in UCHG find them to be really good im under dr. Gubbara who is really nice & find that any problems ive had he was very willin to help me, but when u go public you do only get 1 scan, which is usually around the 20 week mark & after that its just the heart beat u hear in each hospital visit. but at that stage there is usually plenty of movement with the baby so once its movin u dont need scans as there is a certain amount of radiation involoved in the whic isnt good for the baby.
MrsK07 Posts: 454
My doc told me that to get go private in Galway you would only want to be in the planning stages ie ringing while on 2ww and booking yourself in and cancelling if AF arrives. That is not the first time I heard that. I was 5 wks when I went to doc I was thinking of going with the midwife led clinic. Have had one problem free pregnancy already so doc said I was suitable. Anyone have any experience with this? Can't wait to see how you get on Liv.
madmam Posts: 1294
I would go public in Galway. I shared a ward with provate patients who were raging cos there was no private rooms for them. Also there is no guarantee the cons will be there for you when you give birth. Makes no difference in my opinion - iwent public before (had complications and prem birth and very happy with the treatment I got) and will be doing so again hopefully. HTH. PS. Dr Gubara is a sweetie, ask for him!
alton Posts: 3077
I'm not in Galway, but wondering if you have the option of going semi-private (best, or worst of both worlds). There's also combined care - I'm seeing my own GP for half the visits and a consultant for the other half and it's working out as a nice balance. I'm very happy with my GP's level of care, and her knowledge of me on one hand, and with the access to the consultant's expertise on the other. Do you have the option of midwife care (where you visit the midwife clinic instead of the hospital) - I'm only passing on hearsay, not experience, but it seems like a more personal experience than the hospital rush. If you know what you want out of private care, you might be able to access those qualities without paying a fortune for it
Ive decided to go public and have also booked an early scan privately in the Galway clinic. Glad decision is made and thanks for all your help
workingmom Posts: 3429
Good for you Liv, I am also going public, as there is no option for semi-private, and I will book scans if I want them, I can't see the benefit of handing out 3K for 8 visits, when the consultants for public and private are the same doctors!
MrsK07 Posts: 454
I didn't know you could go for a scan in the Galway Clinic. Is it only for early scans or can you go later on in the pregnancy?