Galway String Quartets

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jen2009 Posts: 89
Hi All, We are getting married in Galway next year and are thinking about booking a string quartet to play at the Church ceremony. Does anyone have any recommendations on Galway based String Quartets? We are restricted to religious music, would you say a String Quartet is a good idea? Can't decide between that or a church singer? Thanks! Jen
SiobhanOliverSoprano Posts: 3150
hi jen Check out http://www.corribquartet.com/ or http://www.galwayensemble.ie/ If you're thinking of vocals check out www.franknaughton.ie - based in Galway and fab voice or www.louiseharrison.net - based in Limerick but she'll travel to Galway Siobhan
Jen2009 Posts: 89
Hi Siobhan, Thanks for your recommendations on Galway String Quartets, much appreciated :) I wondered if you would mind me asking for some more advice as I think you also previously advised me on music ideas for Galway Cathedral. We are getting married in Galway Cathedral and ideally would like to book one of these string quartets. But we are also thinking of getting a church singer, just to sing a couple of songs, not a whole set Do you think it is possible to find a local singer that does not charge the earth, or even someone from a local choir? and do you think this would work with a string quartet? Thanks in advance Jenni
SiobhanOliverSoprano Posts: 3150
Hi Jenni Apologies for the delay in getting back to you - I was away for a few days I'd certainly ask in the cathedral if one of the choir members would sing a couple of pieces for you. The problem with booking a professional singer is that they will charge for their time not how many pieces they sing - so if you want someone to sing the entrance and then the recessional for example, they're still going to be in the church the same length of time as someone that's singing everything. Also, they'll need to rehearse with the quartet - although from experience most quartets don't want to do that until the morning of the wedding. Personally, I would say you don't need voice if you have strings but it can be a nice addition if your budget allows it - just be careful that the person you choose to sing is "good enough" to be accompanied by a string group. You could check the music department in the college in Galway - one of the students might sing for weddings Unfortunately I don't know anyone in Galway that I could suggest to you. If you have a decent music shop like Pro Musica or Opus 11 they'll have details of local singers as well and they usually have a notice board with business cards on it so might be worth having a quick look there too Hope you manage to get sorted out Siobhan