Gaps between meals

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
I always have a big gap between lunch (c.12pm) and dinner (when I get home from work and cook it so between 7 / 8pm) and was never one for mid afternnoon snacks. I found I wasn't feeling too great in the afternoons (no energy, bit nauseous, headaches) in the afternoons so I've phased in a mid afternoon snack in the last week. I'm just worried, the baby takes nutrition from the placenta, not directly from my stomach, so a big gap between meals won't have done him / her any harm will it? After all during the night there's a big gap too? Hopefully with the small amount the baby needs early on and the fact that I do eat well, just was having a gap, it was fine for the baby? Need some reassurance!!!!!
baby-bel Posts: 929
gosh, im exactly the same grunge bride and I hadnt even thought of it :eek I hope im not damaging my poor little baby either :o(
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
I'm sure it's fine and while it's not ideal to go for long periods of time without eating it's more for you than for babs! I do often have big gaps also sometimes! Might have breakfast at 10am and not eat again until 7pm! Your body will let you know if what you're doing isn't right!
Hope that's right - don't mind about me, when I started noticing that I needed food more regularly than I used to, I ate more food. I just don't want to have done anything wrong to Baby. Anyone else know if it's ok?
Anonymous Posts: 24542
Don't worry - babies are perfect little parasites. They take everything they need from you, so the only one who will be lacking in any nutrients is you. I used to be able to go ages without food and never feel hungry, but throughout my pregnancy I found I needed to eat a lot more often - I [b:23h2xf9u]felt[/b:23h2xf9u] hungry, which was unusual for me, but I just went with it and ate little and often. Your body will let you know what it needs.
MrsK07 Posts: 454
They say you should eat little and often rather than have large infrequent meals. I usually have breakfast at 8ish, snack at 11, lunch at 1, snack at 4 and dinner around 7/7.30pm. On the odd occasion if I go for long periods without food the I don't feel the baby moving as much. Also by eating regularly I don't get dizzy spells or nausea. Also I have only put on about 9 or 10lbs and am 20 weeks now.
chicam Posts: 1169
Totally agree with Ditz - my Doc used the word "parasite" when describing unborn babies, apparently they can go for a long time without food as the placenta is able to take nutrients from not only the food you intake into your stomach but also your fat reserves too. How else do babies survive when mummy is really ill and doesn't eat for days on end (this was my case for about 4 months!!). Don't worry but do try to snack, it will stop you feeling dizzy.
leanbh1 Posts: 473
[b:3e9nmicy]Has anyone else added in a snack between dinner and bedtime?[/b:3e9nmicy]I usually have dinner around 7pm but find by ten,I'm starting to get peckish so usually have cereal or a couple of slices of toast.I read somewhere that if I'm hungry,baby's hungry,so have become more aware of not leaving gaps between meals.Also if I wake during the night to pee and dont go back to sleep straight away I'm STARVING if I havent had the pre-bed snack..[/b]
Awww little parasites...hope mine is doing well !