gardening question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

errigal08 Posts: 1302
iv put this in house and home aswell,but more traffic here i know to all of you that are green fingered this qusetion is going to sound so stupid,but i honestly have no idea- after iv dug where i want my flowers to go,do i remove what iv dug up,like the grass and dirt and replace with compost?
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
[quote="errigal08":1g2ccyo6]iv put this in house and home aswell,but more traffic here i know to all of you that are green fingered this qusetion is going to sound so stupid,but i honestly have no idea- after iv dug where i want my flowers to go,do i remove what iv dug up,like the grass and dirt and replace with compost?[/quote:1g2ccyo6] Are you talking about a bed? As in, are you creating a bed for the first time? Im no Gerry Daly but I just dug out my bed, marked where I wanted the plants to go, dug the specific holes, watered them, sprinkled some compost in, then planted the plants taking care that it goes in at the level of soil that's already there. Then water & hey presto you should be flying! If you're asking should there just be only compost going into the hole then I'd put a little compost & use some of the existing soil as well.
errigal08 Posts: 1302
thanks for reply,yeah i think its a bed alright,im not using whole plants though,i bought a box of mixed pink flower seeds and it says to shake and rake,so i was going to dig a big patch to get rid of grass and then put down compost then shake the seeds on top,im a complete novice but sure i'll give it a go tomorrow :wv
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
Oh ok, I'd dig up the ground nicely to uproot any weeds & then pick them out as best you can. Then shake some of your seeds over and then sprinkle a light layer of compost over it. Hope that helps - happy gardening!!