Gaviscon

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sybil Fawlty Posts: 1541
God I'm suddenly dying of heartburn/indigestion. Is it safe to use gaviscon? (21 weeks pregnant). Ta.
cookiemad Posts: 917
yep,i live on the stuff,part of my one a day diet :o0 :o0
Sybil Fawlty Posts: 1541
Thanks! Says it's ok on the bottle so guzzled some down and it's working already. Great stuff. Never used it before.
dita Posts: 960
Just wondering whenits safe to start using Gaviscon...I went to the chemist and she said not to use it til after 12 weeks.... I am only 10 weeks would love to use it for going to bed ..it seems to get worse then.....
coconut Posts: 2183
[quote="dita":2905yy18]Just wondering whenits safe to start using Gaviscon...I went to the chemist and she said not to use it til after 12 weeks.... I am only 10 weeks would love to use it for going to bed ..it seems to get worse then.....[/quote:2905yy18] Thats when i am bad as well, god i would die without it!! u could ask ur doctor i don't think i had heart burn til after 12 wks
short n sweet Posts: 1802
Try raising your pillow a little too and it will help - I have such bad heartburn I ended up having to get persciption for it but hopefully the Gaviscon will sort it out for you before it gets that bad - there is also Gaviscon Ultra which is what they give you in HS if you need it - I'm not sure about taking it before 12 weeks though sorry
cookiemad Posts: 917
id say its safe,i got very mild heartburn in the beginning and found a glass of ice cold milk sipped slowly always done the trick,but now i need the strong stuff.i prefer to use the tablets lemon flavor,the most i ever need is 2.hth
LMR Posts: 1925
yes, but just the original stuff. I lived on the stuff for a while (the hearburn has thankfully eased off now). Also try and drink a glass of milk or have a milkshake. I found that both helped the heartburn.
AHappyMrs Posts: 622
[quote="dita":2y9xj2np]Just wondering whenits safe to start using Gaviscon...I went to the chemist and she said not to use it til after 12 weeks.... I am only 10 weeks would love to use it for going to bed ..it seems to get worse then.....[/quote:2y9xj2np] Dita, i've suffered with reflux and heartburn for the last two years and had to stop my medication when I found out I was pregnant, I can not stomach the liquid gaviscon, but i've been taking gaviscon tablets, rennie tablets and remigel tablets... i find the remigel the best. I went back to my doc when I was just over seven weeks as I was up the walls with the acid... she said she couldn't prescribe me anything before 12 weeks, but to continue taking as much gaviscon/rennie/remigel as I need to alliviate the acid. So I think if your that bad, take the Gaviscon, ask your doc if your worried.. I think pharmacists are super cautious with pregnancy, asked one about hayfever remedy the other day and she wouldnt even entertain the idea of a herbal remedy!!
frangipani Posts: 1543
check with the doctor/chemist. never ever had heartburn before but my goodness it certainly hit me with a vengeance! it's said that heartburn is a sign that the baby is getting hair on it's head!! i liked the peppermint flavoured one and brought it everywhere with me since week 30, has eased off now thank God!