gay weddings...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

halo Posts: 1406
seeing as this is a wedding site, just wondering what any of you make of the whole gay wedding issue... I don't hold any truck with the whole - marriage is a sacred union between man and woman, and it devalues the concept of marriage to allow 2 men/2 women to "marry". Personally I think it's crazy that 2 people in a relationship can't have the oppertunity to a)declare thier love and commitment to each other b)have the same legal rights as a straight married couple. However, I am hearing a lot of people saying that if "the gays are allowed to marry, it makes my marriage less valid", and I'm shocked. So come on, candid answers here....would love to see what the general consensus is... (open invitations to trolley dolley and bond cordially extended, have you gotten over the trauma of Furnish bagging your man Elton, trolley? :wink: )
Anon10yr+ Posts: 1874
Mrs Moo Posts: 440
It's about bloody time that same sex couples are allowed to marry, whether in a civil or religious context. My best friend and one of my old bosses are both gay and some of the stories they told would truly make your hair stand on end i.e A couple (of guys) who had been together 25 years - let's call them Alan and Barry. Alan's family were violently opposed to his sexuality and cut all ties with him when he came out. Barry's family loved & supported them both. Alan & Barry had a house together (paid for by Alan) where they jointly contributed to mortgage, bills etc. Alan became ill and died. Alan's family crawled out of the woodwork, started asserting their "rights", binned Barry out of the house, banned him from the funeral & basically treated him like something on the end of their shoe. They were fully entitled to do this & Barry legally didn't have a leg to stand on... until now. Can anybody guess who's side I'm on??? I'll give you a clue... it's not any member of the Healy-Rae family
MPA in Oz Posts: 24
I am all for it as well - I cannot understand anyone who is happy with their own life and their own choices wanting other people not to have the same happiness. What difference will it make to my marriage when David and Elton get married? (I know they are not the only ones marrying but I am just using them as an example) Marriage is about love and commitment above all else and I cannot imagine that any gay couple will enter into it lightly any more than any straight couple should. I sppose my main thing is that the only people who can devalue a marriage are the people in it so those who feel their own union is devalued because other people who love each other are allowed to express that need to look inside themselves to see what is really wrong. MPA
Mrs. Ally Posts: 298
Here Here Girls, I agree totally that it's about time the country started to move with the times..People should not be able to declare and consumate their love for eachother no matter what their sexual preference is... You're right Anon it definately doesn't lessen the value of marriage in the slightest.. O-O to Elton & David later today :lol: :lol:
Mrs. Ally Posts: 298
Here Here Girls, I agree totally that it's about time the country started to move with the times..People should not be able to declare their love for eachother no matter what their sexual preference is... You're right Anon it definately doesn't lessen the value of marriage in the slightest.. O-O to Elton & David later today :lol: :lol:
noddy1 Posts: 619
to be fair its not really the same as the marraige/wedding as the majority of posters on the boards will have because their ceremony/sacrament will be one in a church while the same sex folks will only have the one option of a civil ceremony. And i don't see the christian church ever letting gay couples marry due to the rule book. Its fantastic that their rights are finally being recognised and they are no longer going to be treated as second class citizens in a first class country. Also i think it will only be a good thing for same sex couples as the notion the media/film industries portray of guy guys& girls being bed hoppers (SITC?...) should disappear because just as they can now have their union recognised they must wait the same time for their divorce to come through. the Healy Rea folks should see that this is not holy catholic ireland anymore and we all need to live and let live.
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
Hear Hear Noddy, Its about time that all couples were recognised reagrdless of the type of relationship, marragie is about wanting to commit yourself to one person for the rest of your life and showing the world how much u love that person as far as I'm aware nowhere does it say that is must be male and female only. I have 2 mates in the UK marrying today and unfortunately I can't attend but am ab thrilled that they will finally be able to express their love to the world today exactly like myself and H2B will in 7 months time. Personally I think its brilliant !!
Astra Posts: 1409
I think it's great too. Best of luck to them all.
Minxie Posts: 884
I think it is every persons right to marry the person they are with regardless of age sex, religion or race. I think the Irish government has to address this issue and fast. I feel it is an infringement on the rights of human beings if they cannot marry the person they love.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8