Gentle Birthing / Hypnobirthing - is there a difference?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Diamondz Posts: 2208
Hey girls - just wondering if you know is there a difference.. I can't really afford the Gentebirthing book/cd's but a friend gave me her copy of hypnobirthng the Marie Mongan method which also came with CD. Just wonder if it is similar or whether I would be wasting my time.. the book seems quite lengthy and I might not get through it all before the birth at this rate :-8
Bridezilla07 Posts: 2237
Hi There I think Gentle Birth is just a company name (Irish) but I don't think there are any real differences. Zilla07
RJR Posts: 962
Bridezilla's right, Gentlebirth is the Irish company, hypnobirthing is the method (which Mary Mongan developed). Some courses are group courses and home CD, some are one on one hypno sessions with a home CD. Mayalldone - have you got a CD or just the book? PM me if you've just got the book cos I've a CD from my first time and I'm in the UK now on my second and you get a free group hypno session and CD from the NHS ( :eek couldn't believe it's free!!) so I should be able to sort you out with one of them...when are you due?
Thanks Girls. I have started wading through the book and quite alot explains the background so I might still get through it in time. RJR I have a CD that came with the book so assume it would be similar. Can't believe you can get a free hypno session on the NHS :eek I'm in the UK too so any info you have on this would be great. I'm nearly 34 weeks so feel like I'm running out of time and starting to panic a little bit :-8 Thanks again :thnk
GentleBirth Posts: 750
Wow the NHS really has it's act together! Mayalldone - there is quite a big difference in GentleBirth and the American HypnoBirthing course - specifically around the additional GentleBirth materials and the support you receive as part of the GentleBirth program. At 33 weeks you still have time so be sure to listen to the CD as much as possible and read as much of the book as you can. I certified in the American program but found it didn't translate well into the European maternity system so I developed GentleBirth. There was a thread about the differences earlier this year. http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion ... entlebirth With HypnoBirthing you get one practice CD. With GentleBirth you get 3 CDs as well as additional Mp3s and ongoing support. Track 1- Listening Instructions Track 2 - Affirmations for a GentleBirth Track 3 – Birth Rehearsal Imagery & Visualisation Track 4 - Birth Music CD 2 Track 1 - Baby bonding pre birth Track 2 - Confident Pregnancy CD 3 Track 1 - Gentle Parenting Track 2 - Baby Bliss - Postive Parenting Affirmations (Post Natal) Track 3 - Fear release As standard you also receive an Mp3 Pregnancy Celebration for use in the car Mp3 for Birth Partner Confidence GentleStart Induction for Mums who are being induced Breech Turn - if your baby is breech Breastfeeding Confidence* [i:1kd1yhlb]New [/i:1kd1yhlb] Practice, practice practice and be sure to use your CD as soon as you think you might be in labour. Anything that will help you to have a more positive experience is worth the time - and you're probably not hearing much of the CD so it's actually very little 'work'. Even at this stage it's definitely not a waste of time - do what you can and enjoy these wonderful weeks. Any questions just shout! Tracy
RJR Posts: 962
I think it might just be in my particular area the NHS are funding some hypno - apparently someone over here started doing it and the midwives and local hospital saw such a difference in their labours that they funded the course...makes sense if it leads to shorter labour and quicker recovery - less money in the long run for them! It's great though - you also get home visits from the midwives for the antenatal care and they're really into homebirths, I'm really lucky to have picked this area to move to! Tracey - just wanted to point out some of the other Irish hypnobirthing courses are adapted from the American method to suit the Irish system too. I know the Kerrigan clinic also has more than the one CD - I got a couple of CDs and I think Vivienne has also put together a DVD as well, plus the one on one sessions. Just think its worth pointing out there's more choice than the American program and the Gentlebirth program, hope you don't mind... Congrats on your pregnancy by the way, hope all's going well!
I think that's brilliant - and as you said it will probably save the NHS money in the long term. Yes I should have said that there are other options for hypnosis for birth around Ireland - GentleBirth is specifically a homestudy course so mums don't have to do sessions if they can't get to classes or 1:1 sessions. There's really no right or wrong way to get the information - it's the daily practice that's important :) I'm doing great - a bit green but happy *) Tracy
Thanks for the info Tracy and RJR. I have started wading through the book and listened to the relaxation part of the CD (although I think I only lasted 5 mins before passing out :-8 ) I'll keep this up and see how I get on.... :thnk
That's a really good sign!! Keep it up! Tracy
Baby Babs Posts: 2596
Another difference seems to be the price. I was looking at Gentlebirth and the book and CDs costs 69 euro or so. I didn't go through with the purchase because I couldn't understand whether I could get it delivered to Germany or delivery costs. The Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method with CD I can get on Amazon for 12 euro. So obviously I'm learning for the cheaper option if I'm going to get similar benefit.