Gents Wedding Band discoloured

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Nov76 Posts: 26
I got married in summer 09 and my husband went for a 9ct white gold wedding band. Shortly after the wedding it went discoloured - kind of yellow colour. He brought it back to jewellers and the shop said this happens and that it would need to be dipped to bring colour back and this cost 40 euro. But same thing happened again shortly after getting it dipped. Should this be happening?
Xxcitedwife Posts: 835
the jeweller is right, happens my engagement ring a good bit. Some people seem to need theyre rings dipped more than others-i have heard something about chemicals in the body, but here is a definate answer: Why Does White Gold Turn Yellow? Often times a person’s white gold jewelry will turn yellow or look tarnished. Has this happened to you? Have you wondered why or think that the piece of jewelry was just of poor quality? If this does happen to you and it most likely will as time goes on, there is no need to worry. White gold does not really exist. It is a common misconception that white gold is just like yellow gold that has been mined, the only difference is that it is white. I’m going to set the record straight. White gold is actually an alloy of yellow gold and at least one white metal, generally nickel and or palladium. This gives it the white appearance. Once the alloy has been created it will look dull, so to give it a shiny look like platinum, it will be covered with a thin layer of rhodium. Rhodium can withstand natural elements, but unfortunately it cannot withstand the natural oils from our bodies and possibly chemicals we work with, so over time the rhodium will tarnish. So, there is no need to worry about the quality of your jewelry, but to make your ring look as shiny and beautiful as possible, you should have your ring rhodium dipped every 12-18 months. HTH
LittleLily Posts: 3682
White gold is yellow gold that has been rhodium plated. The plating wears away and needs to be replated every year or 2. Most jewellers will do this for you. Shop around for the best price. Alternatively many places will offer to replate for you when you buy the ring so try back with the place you bought it. Unfortunatly its just something you will have to keep doing to keep it looking white.
Bellisima Posts: 3583
I would have thought it would only need to be redipped every 18-24 months, Im no expert though!