Getting hair coloured while pregnant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bun in the oven Posts: 169
Hi, I've just booked to get my hair done on saturday cause I'm going out and my roots are down to my ears at this stage ... I've read a few reports that actually say your better to get your hair done by a professional .... what's anyones takes on this?? have any of you had your hair coloured before 12 weeks???
nea dude Posts: 749
I'm totally gray, and have been since I was 18. Bad genes. I've been colouring my hair throughout my pregnancy and my baby is doing just fine. I used to go to the hairdressers every month, it was my treat. However when I got pregnant I couldn't stand being inside the salon. At three months pregnant I had to leave the hairdressers with colour still developing and I vomited outside :-8 sorry. I have put it down to all the chemicals I was inhaling. I've been doing home colours since. You can get organic or natural home colours if you think the chemicals are too much, but I would be against sitting in a salon during pregnancy due to my personal experience.
Hot Mama Posts: 206
I know that 100% after 12 weeks is fine, not sure about before that though
Woodstock Posts: 1565
I never dyed my hair all my life and dyed it the first time last Saturday!! :ooh It'd better be safe! I asked the hairdresser if it was okay when expecting and she said yes. Having said that, the color didn't take at all on my hair (only took on the roots) and I have to go back on Thursday so they can do it again. BTW it was a semi permament (vs. tint) as my hair can't take hydrogen peroxide for other reasons..
Emomc Posts: 2069
I had mine done three weeks ago at 9 weeks, and no problems.
Milly83 Posts: 3620
I had mine done throughout my pregnancy. There are no problems with it at all. It's another one of those things.
Martiespride Posts: 997
ive had mine done last week and i asked the hairdresser on the quiet and she said it wasnt a problem, that it was an old wives tale!!
wifee07 Posts: 353
I asked my hairdresser about this when a friend of mine was pregnant, i wasn't at the time! I am now and have it coloured every so often, generally when i get sick of looking at the roots!! I didn't get it coloured in the first 12 weeks but that was because I was adamant I was going to go back to my natural colour! Which i gave up on! Girl said dye would do no harm to baby, its the fact your hormones are all over the place and your hair might not be in its best condition, so the problem is the colour, as happened to woodstock, doesn't take to all the hair or part of the hair.
*Muffin* Posts: 7243
As far as I know, the only risk is that your hair might go a different colour than what it normally goes, but otherwise, there is no proven risk to the baby.